Shipping question ?

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
Shipping , from Canada to USA or USA to Canada . Are there any differences ? I know its quite expensive , but just how much more ? I've heard that any insurance is null and void once reaching the border because most if not all packages are opened and re-packed by the border control . Interested in bringing your sister site onboard here as we buy and sell regularly . I do realize any large equipment is out of the question , but small shipable boxes go in and out monthly here . Bringing on new members from south of the border . TIA for info .

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
My hobby experience in US/Canada cross-border shipping dates back to the start of eBay in 2001. I’ve never had a package opened by Canada Customs. When I worked full time, from 1998 to 2022 I shipped thousands of packages to and from Canada, I can’t recall any time packages arrived opened, unless the clowns at the Undeliverable Parcel Service damaged them. As long as it looks like a person-to-person shipment, it’s left alone. Commercial shipments need proper Customs declarations, but every carrier I’ve ever used has a system on their website to make up the docs.

As for insurance, Canada Post and USPS insurance applies bilaterally, no concerns at all on cross-border packages.

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
As for insurance, Canada Post and USPS insurance applies bilaterally, no concerns at all on cross-border packages.
Ive heard different stories but can't verify . Are there flat rat boxes up there that ship to the US ? All my boxes shipped to Toronto and Calgary are pretty darn expensive . This is just household junk and no tooling etc . WAY back when I shipped a very in-expensive tool up to a member . The shipping was more than the price of the tool .

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I recently shipped three packages containing motorcycle parts to the US. It's easy as far as I'm concerned. US to Canada might be a bit more difficult but I don't think it is.
JAnderso from HM kindly shipped me something that would only ship to the US. Wasn't any trouble according to him.
Are there flat rat boxes up there that ship to the US?
No, like the US we only have domestic flat rate boxes.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It would take many paragraphs to properly answer your questions, but the bottom line is shipping goes back & forth no problem. The bigger issue for us is when a USA vendor will ship toCanada but specifies a courier like UPS, Fedex... They may not want to deal with USPS. You can't get out of paying GST & any applicable duties, the government will always get their share. The courier 'line item' shipping charges are comparable to other modes. But over & above this they apply high dinger fees. Sometimes its called assessment fees. So a $100 box of air with no duty owing might still cost you 45$ in fees for them to asses that no duty is owing. That's the rub. Now if you are talking USA buddy sending to Canada buddy, much of this can be mitigated. They could be amenable to sending USPS where there are no dinger fees (but still transport + any applicable duty & tax). Used items usually get in without much scrutiny but they are always on the lookout for suspicious content vs value. And you have to be aware of size/dimensional weight limits no matter who you choose, some are better than others. Insurance is always available, some have certain minimum coverage, others its X$/100$ value in increments.

I don't really use this service because I have yet to find a tangible example of cost savings. But it is a very handy calculator to plunk in a few parameters & get you in the ballpark of what shipping costs from A to B from a variety of services. There are some strings attached but that's another discussion.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I've heard that any insurance is null and void once reaching the border because most if not all packages are opened and re-packed by the border control .

Looks like other people have had different experience than mine. Customs almost always opens my stuff no matter where its from. Hard to believe it never happened to @whydontu. They might have my number.

Like others, I downright hate UPS. USPS is usually ok.

Hard to escape taxes here. Our diminimus value limit is MUCH lower than stuff heading south to the USA.

Some Canadians have a US mail box in the US near to the border so they can drive over and bring it back personally. I have no knowledge but I'd expect the reverse prolly exists too.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
My experience is that if you happen to sell on eBay, their Global shipping rates are lower than Canada Post. Unless you have a corporate account with a discount from one of the regular couriers Canada Post is usually lower than FedEx etc.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My experience is that if you happen to sell on eBay, their Global shipping rates are lower than Canada Post. Unless you have a corporate account with a discount from one of the regular couriers Canada Post is usually lower than FedEx etc.

That eBay thing might be worth exploring.

I had heard that Purolator rates within Canada were amazing for corporate accounts. So I signed up. They gave me a 50% Discount. Even so, it was still more than Canada Post Flat Rate. I was not happy.

Ironman

Ultra Member
Looks like other people have had different experience than mine. Customs almost always opens my stuff no matter where its from. Hard to believe it never happened to @whydontu. They might have my number.

Like others, I downright hate UPS. USPS is usually ok.
I absolutely will not deal with United Parcel Smashers if I have any choice. I'll pay more to someone else. I have had them scribble out my address and write in a non-existent address and send it back to base as deliverable.
Or the trick of insisting you have not paid duty and everything would be simple if I just opened an account and gave them a credit card. So they could keep hitting it and say I had not paid. Wonder who would get the money?

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
UPS into Canada is just horrible because they charge outrageous brokerage fees.
yeah, so do all of the unsavoury $#^7@^& couriers. Gawd I hate them. The safe play is 1) USPS or 2) send it to the service takes out all the paper work, you declare value, then they mail it to you.

Had a warranty replacement from Italy recently. The idiot vendor put a $15 value on it for some unknown reason. That triggered a $1.95 tax bill and FEDEX charged $13.00 service fee This imo should be illegal - they knew when they took the order this would be required, so rather than extort you on the doorstep they should be forced to disclose and levy the fee up front (i.e. in the shipping cost).

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
yeah, so do all of the unsavoury $#^7@^& couriers. Gawd I hate them. The safe play is 1) USPS or 2) send it to the service takes out all the paper work, you declare value, then they mail it to you.

Had a warranty replacement from Italy recently. The idiot vendor put a $15 value on it for some unknown reason. That triggered a $1.95 tax bill and FEDEX charged $13.00 service fee This imo should be illegal - they knew when they took the order this would be required, so rather than extort you on the doorstep they should be forced to disclose and levy the fee up front (i.e. in the shipping cost).
Yup Shars did that to me when they warrantied a chuck backplate. Cost me $100 to get what was supposed to be a replacement.