• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Shawn's plane projects

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
In previous posts, I have found there is some interest in aircraft. As I venture into the rebuilding of mine, I thought I might post questions, comments or updates here. I don't know if there will be much machining oriented aspects, but one of the first projects is.
The plane is a "taildragger", small wheel on the back instead of the front. Originally, the tailwheel only pivots side to side a bit. It is connected to the rudder via cables and springs so that when taxiing, directional control is via the rudder pedals and differential braking. But if you need to push the plane backwards, ie, put it into the hangar, or do a 180 degree turn on the spot, the limited rotation of the rear wheel hinders that. A common upgrade is to replace the tailwheel mechanism with a fully rotational one.
It is a kit available from 3rd parties. It requires cutting off of the bar (tail spring) and installing a new tail wheel bracket.

Soooo, the question is...after cutting the spring, I need to put it in the lathe and turn it to fit the new bracket. But it is tapered. The only way I can think of keeping it firm in the chuck is to play around with shims. Or use the spider at the left end of the spindle, if the spring is long enough. Is one of these the way? I included a photo of my tailwheel and the instructions with the kit.

Attachments

• TW cut.jpg
    TW cut.jpg
    561.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Bent-Spring-Modification.pdf
    328.6 KB · Views: 25

boilerhouse

Ultra Member
Sorry, no help with your questions, but, any photos and specs on the plane itself. It looks like an interesting project.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Is this an F1 rocket?

You could machine 3 or 4 shims depending on the chuck you want to use with an opposing taper so that the jaws of your chuck see a nice flat surface and get a nice clamp

Might need some kind of collar to prevent the machining forces from pushing the taper out of the shims

Or carefully drill centers and turn btwn centers

Those are my thoughts

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
machine your own tapered or even stepped collet , or tapered sleeve with a draw bolt arrangement?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
One way is with soft jaws for the chuck often made of aluminum. You machine the jaws to fit the taper.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm not a full size plane nut, but there seem to be many examples of some kind of captive 'shoe' assembly that the tailwheel assembly fits into for this kind of moving around purpose. Most have a pivoting dolly/skate type rotation axis to make it maneuverable. Could you come up with a simpler/lighter duty version similar to these to save cutting into your gear? Not sure if the gear tubing alloy or shape is special in terms of providing the right amount of spring & control, but another consideration.

Attachments

• SNAG-2023-01-14 11.00.29 AM.jpg
    SNAG-2023-01-14 11.00.29 AM.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 7
  • SNAG-2023-01-14 11.00.36 AM.jpg
    SNAG-2023-01-14 11.00.36 AM.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 7
  • SNAG-2023-01-14 11.00.55 AM.jpg
    SNAG-2023-01-14 11.00.55 AM.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 7

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sorry, no help with your questions, but, any photos and specs on the plane itself. It looks like an interesting project.

There is some info in this thread. The plane is a Van's RV4 homebuilt. It first flew in 1985 and has about 550 hours on it. But it, like many of the machines we talk of on this forum, needs some TLC and upgrades. Not my first plane buy my first homebuilt. Therefore, I can work on it, legally.

Last edited:

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Is this an F1 rocket?

You could machine 3 or 4 shims depending on the chuck you want to use with an opposing taper so that the jaws of your chuck see a nice flat surface and get a nice clamp

Might need some kind of collar to prevent the machining forces from pushing the taper out of the shims

Or carefully drill centers and turn btwn centers

Those are my thoughts

Close, I think the F1 starts as an RV4, and then is severely modified. There is the Harmon Rocket as well, which might start as a Vans kit. An old neighbour of mine was building one when I was first getting into flying.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm not a full size plane nut, but there seem to be many examples of some kind of captive 'shoe' assembly that the tailwheel assembly fits into for this kind of moving around purpose. Most have a pivoting dolly/skate type rotation axis to make it maneuverable. Could you come up with a simpler/lighter duty version similar to these to save cutting into your gear? Not sure if the gear tubing alloy or shape is special in terms of providing the right amount of spring & control, but another consideration.

I might be looking at something like this for in and out of the hangar if I want to use a lawn tractor as a tug. But the mod I am doing is mostly an upgrade for maneuvering the plane while taxiing it. So while in the plane.

Thanks everyone for the input. Looks like this project first requires another little project. I will report back as to what I end up doing. I know one guy just took a grinder to it till it fit as it is not too critical, but what fun is that? ;)

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Is that an oversize engine for an RV-4?

Wow, that’s only15 hours a year! It’s almost new!

The specs call for a 160 to a 180 hp. So at the top end. Having said that, as @phaxtris mentioned, some builders take that kit and modify it, making a model referred to as "___ Rocket". It is also done with an RV6, a side by side version. Mine is tandom or front and back like a Piper Cub.

Yes, relatively low time for that year. I think the seller put a few hundred on in 6 years, so the builder only put about as many in 30 years.

Having said that, it, being a homebuilt, one is at the mercy of the builder. The build quality is mediocre. It looks safe enough for sure, but not going to win any awards for quality. I cannot fathom putting thousands of hours into a project, and not losing enthusiasm so I am not being critical of the builder. Plus, he put in stuff that has since been replaced. Those were nice upgrades, nicely done. I cannot be critical of the builder. This plane is kind of perfect for me. The majority of the work is done, but it was priced so that I can invest a bit, make it more modern and nicer, redo the engine, and still have my equity (fingers crossed). The other option was to throw a huge amount of money at a very nice aircraft, and then, well, hope all goes well and the market does not drop. It is starting to realign now, similar to housing prices. COVID drove up the price of planes, like everything, and drove down the options on the market so I have been watching and waiting. We will see if my theories hold water. ( I was going to say "fly" but....:) )

@phaxtris , I will post some photos next.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
These photos are from this summer. Plans are to replace the entire panel, add lights, redo the engine, and just general cleanup. Make it purty, ...

Attachments

• GRUF .jpg
    GRUF .jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 17
  • GRUF Panel before.jpg
    GRUF Panel before.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221029_154151.jpg
    20221029_154151.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 17

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Here are photos taken today. Let the fun begin. I had to order new tools, and buy a new rolling bench, ....we all agree that all renos justify new tools, right?....Shhhhh!!

Attachments

• GRUF wings in cradle.jpg
    GRUF wings in cradle.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 14
  • GRUF in shop.jpg
    GRUF in shop.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 14

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Not my first plane buy my first homebuilt. Therefore, I can work on it, legally.
Is there a simple explanation on this? It’s homebuilt but still capable of carrying a passenger, is the distinction it’s homebuilt to allow you to work on it yourself?

You might’ve told me already but small planes seem to have a myriad of rules attached to them, probably with good reason

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That looks sweet! The RV’s are such lovely aircraft!

It’s going to look great once it’s had some love!

Thanks Steve. Yes, they are nice aircraft, good kits, well designed and supported. Reminds me of the reputation that Precision Matthews has,......

We have, locally, 3 -9A's flying (2 seater cross country machine), a -10 (4 seater). We have an -8 (modern, larger version of mine) and a -14 (larger 2 seater aimed at the larger average American ) being built locally now, so in our city alone, several Van's aircraft.

Builders generally take 2 to 10 years to build, and 1500 to 3000 man hours. The kits have come a long way since my kit was released. The builder used to have to drill all rivet holes, bend much of the metal, etc. Now the latest kits come almost ready for rivets and assembly. And quick build kits have been available for year, where by most of the fuselage is assembled. To meet Transport Canada regulations, the homebuilder must complete at least 50%+ of the build. But, ironically, I can buy one at any stage of the process, as long as it has been inspected at the various stages that are required.

You gotta think, the Wright brothers were the first home builders! In the states, homebuilts are called "Experimental" so same thing. We call them "homebuilts" but label them as "Experimental". Go figure. :rolleyes: