• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Shaper -- Caledon, ON

trlvn

Ultra Member
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tool-other/oakville-halton-region/small-shaping-machine/1451010869

$_59.JPG

$_59.JPG

Asking $600!!

Craig

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Man, you're a tease! If it was local I would be taking a serious look see. On the other hand, I don't have a clue where I would put it. Looks like fun.

Last edited:

trlvn

Ultra Member
BTW, I contacted the seller that the price seemed high given the apparent condition and missing stuff. His response was "Come and look and make an offer." BUT, we're just starting a major house renovation. I don't have the time or space for a new project...let alone the money.

Craig
PS It is not even clear if it has a single or three phase motor.
OTOH, I'm sure there are a tonne of dead rodents included!

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
$600 in ON for it does seem high but it is really hard to tell without looking at it. If its just dirty and otherwise not rusted out then I only see missing vice. At that point small shaper like this for say $400 would be a great deal. After all in good condition with vice a bit larger shaper like mine went on auction for $1200 - their prices are going up not down, especially small ones.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
How small are we talking here? What would it weigh and what would the overall dimensions be?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I am guessing that is around 8" to 10" shaper. For the smaller one I would guess 300 lbs max for the larger I would go with maybe 500 lbs max.

This is hard to tell from the pic - I am basing it off the saw stand in the back if it.

The all time favorite Atlas 7" without stand is around 150 lbs or so with motor & stands for these old machines could be heavy.

Motor is probably in the 1/2" to 1hp range. I don't see capacitor on it so it could be 3ph but in that size range it should be easy to put in 1ph motor on it.

Line shaft wheel suggests it is old.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I guess with motor then it could be actually quite heavy even for 7A "In the year of its introduction it weighed, complete with the maker's vise, 240 lbs and was priced at $198 - though with a motor and guards the cost rose to around $260 and the weight to just over 310 lbs..." http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlasshaper/

Maybe I was thinking about kg not lbs?