Shaking paint cans tool

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I don't like shaking rattle cans. Some auto paint cans I have say to shake for at least 1 minute. That seems like about seventeen hours to me. So I designed and printed a bunch of parts to turn rotational motion into linear motion to shake cans. That's picture 1 below. It worked for maybe 2 cans before it shook itself apart. So I thought about making the parts bigger, thicker, print with nylon etc. ok I could do that. What else is there? - and I found this guy on youtube who makes a spinning thing instead that you stick in your drill. Spin your paint cans with the drill instead of shaking. Seemed dubious to me but his video was convincing especially when he shows oil and water mixing in his contraption in very short order. Scan to 6:14 to see the oil and water mix. Pretty much instant mixing of the mixture.

He uses some plumbing pipe and a pipe plug to fabricate his contraption. I'm 3d printing it. I don't want to buy 8' of 3" pipe I'll never use. People mention using an old food can - pretty quick to shove a bolt through one end I think. I think that would work if you also put in some fender washers on both sides and spun the drill a little slower.

Back to my build. Picture two below shows the second attempt with 0.1" thick walls and bottom. That is a 1/4" nut with a big fender washer. It came apart testing on the second can but I am running it at full speed with the drill 1500rpm or so. The bolt is prone to bending and then it all came apart. I'm trying a 3/8" bolt on the next one.

Build 2 uses a 3/8" bolt and a 0.5" thick bottom plate printed with 70% infill and 17 perimeters. I also used a 0.8mm nozzle as I seem to be able to print much stronger parts with that approach. I'm still printing the final version and I'll post results.

Attachments

• IMG_4076.jpeg
    IMG_4076.jpeg
    470.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4077.jpeg
    IMG_4077.jpeg
    448 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4079.jpeg
    IMG_4079.jpeg
    301.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Quick video.... Here the print job terminated abruptly so the spinner is too short. But it seems to work anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_4078.MOV.zip
    4 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Would something like this work with a 4L paint can? I've done something similar to dry off hot tub filters quick. Spin dry. I'm wondering if the vortex in the can would actually mix up the sticky stuff on the bottom of the can? I guess testing is in order.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Printed! I had just enough filament.

Attachments

• IMG_4080.jpeg
    IMG_4080.jpeg
    359.1 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 9

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've used a reciprocating saw. Just tape the can to a long blade and let her rip.
I saw a video where an old blade had a can holder welded to it, don't think i would run the reciprocating saw at full speed though. The guy used a lot of rattle cans so it was worth the build.

Art M

I’ve been using a reciprocal saw and a couple hose clamps works like a charm. But I’ve been thinking about building a purpose built can shaker… Because I don’t have enough projects. Watching to see how this end's up keep up the good work John!

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
The reciprocal saw idea does make a lot of sense. I don’t own one :( I guess I have a jigsaw. Also the drill is always out on the bench so it’s handy and cordless. I store the spinner next to the shaker cans so it’s easy to grab.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The reciprocal saw idea does make a lot of sense. I don’t own one
I am in shock, a home shop guy that doesn't own a reciprocating saw. Jeeez i think i have 3 or 4 of them, my favorite is the cordless one. They are not expensive. :)

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If you think outside the box, I understand there are ladies in certain areas of the city that will shake your paint can till its empty.
They may even make house calls, maybe a group deal for all if other guys need theirs done too.:)

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
$150 with two batteries. That’s pretty reasonable. Anybody have this ryobi one? They have a brushless version for $180. I don’t expect a lot of usage. Would the Milwaukee be a significantly better saw?

Attachments

• IMG_4098.png
    IMG_4098.png
    312.2 KB · Views: 3

historicalarms

Ultra Member
$150 with two batteries. That’s pretty reasonable. Anybody have this ryobi one? They have a brushless version for $180. I don’t expect a lot of usage. Would the Milwaukee be a significantly better saw?
We just bought the $150 version (1 with battery pack this spring and we have used it extensively since purchase, The battery runs the saw a long time between charges. The only prob so far with the thing is that the black metal blade guide thingy fell off and I cant get it hooked back in but the reality is that it runs just as good without it so it is not missed at all.
there are bargain priced wired saws out there (mine was $39 at Peavy) that so far has been a good buy as well but that cordless is super handy.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Extended height paint mixer video.

Attachments

• img_4092trimmed.mov.zip
    7.2 MB · Views: 3

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I love the term “heirloom quality” in the description. Somehow I think our offspring would prefer our house in Vancouver over a paint can shaker…

Another paint can mixer. Commercial model. This one actually shake n bakes.

shootingtargets7.com
Spray Paint Can Shaker - Drill Powered - by ShakeRight

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Lots of ideas. I use rattle cans about once every 2 years,. But these designs are just great!!!

I really like the rotating one - seems to be very low stress on everything...