• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tips/Techniques Shaft couplers

Tips/Techniques

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I'm getting close to wrapping up the mechanical aspect of the CNC conversion of my knee mill. I have two different style shaft couplers and both will require a little tweak to my motor mount to make fit.

The long one is about 1/8" too long to fit my existing bracket, so I would need to either:

Use the long coupler and
a) machine about 1/8" off the leading edge of the face of the ballscrew (the edge that mates against the bearing) or
b) shorten the bearing spacer that fits in the bearing block by 1/8", the spacer appears to be hardened.

c) Use the short coupler (diaphragm style) and shorten my mounting block by about ~5/8"

The question is....... of these two style couplers is one better than the other (Stronger, more compliant etc.)?

8966B7DB-B12A-4ED1-A072-F619EACF1727.jpeg

Last edited:

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
The Lovejoy spider couplings have much more flexibility and survive greater misalignment.

What size are the shafts? Quick n dirty, the shaft depth of engagement only needs to be the same as the shaft diameter. Can you shorten the Lovejoy coupling halves?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm getting close to wrapping up the mechanical aspect of the CNC conversion of my knee mill. I have two different style shaft couplers and both will require a little tweak to my motor mount to make fit.

The long one is about 1/8" too long to fit my existing bracket, so I would need to either:

Use the long coupler and
a) machine about 1/8" off the leading edge of the face of the ballscrew (the edge that mates against the bearing) or
b) shorten the bearing spacer that fits in the bearing block by 1/8", the spacer appears to be hardened.

c) Use the short coupler (diaphragm style) and shorten my mounting block by about ~5/8"

The question is....... of these two style couplers is one better than the other (Stronger, more compliant etc.)?

View attachment 41724
I used the one with the red elastomer damper on my CNC router. Works great but I do think they are used primarily in situations where the axial alignment is spot on.

Aliva

Super User
I've read on other forums that the element style may have too much axial flex for a ball screw, leading to a more than acceptable backlash. A disk type or solid coupling is preferred, the downside, is alignment is very critical.

I've had spider type couplings and found that under cnc use on a mill take a beating. I have since replaced them with solid couplings did a proper alignment and found that elastic couplings cause inaccuracies and other issues.

Solid couplings are the only choice at least for me.

Precision....thats what we do.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
The Lovejoy spider couplings have much more flexibility and survive greater misalignment.

What size are the shafts? Quick n dirty, the shaft depth of engagement only needs to be the same as the shaft diameter. Can you shorten the Lovejoy coupling halves?

Servo has 19mm shaft, ballscrews are 20mm and 16mm

I think my alignment is actually quite good, I used the DRO always off the center point and aimed for < 0.001".

I'm going to try the diaphragm style on the Y axis and the elastomer on the X axis and see how they compare, Details will be tweaked as required.
E561B8A2-BCCF-4895-8D6F-5C8EB59E8552.jpeg