SendCutSend anyone?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Clough42 is doing a belt grinder build of his own design. He sent his CAD parts files out to SendCutSend, the main/USA location (sponsored). Anyway I recall hearing the name before & figured it was yet another service they have & we don't. But looks there is a Canadian arm. Anybody used them or had a quote?

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
If the part prices are at all within reason, what a great option.

It reads to me like they are the US and shipping to Canada for flat rate for $19. How the heck do they do that? I can't ship those sizes within Canada for $19 and I'm guessing they aren't such huge volumes that they can drive the price down that much?!

If you get some quotes, it would be great to see what they are charging.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have some CAD files for objects I've had quoted out of AliBaba a year ago. I will submit & see how it compares. They were 6061 aluminum so should be apples to apples. My experience has always been shipping is the killer. Its generally outside their control, unless they have built some kind of pricing model that somehow takes the sting out of it.

There are few firms in the USA that have that flat fee shipping model even to Canada.

The reason you can't ship as cheap here is the minimum that can be charged for shipping must be higher than Canada Posts most competitive rates. In the USA if you can sell it cheaper and make money, go for it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The reason you can't ship as cheap here is the minimum that can be charged for shipping must be higher than Canada Posts most competitive rates.

Are you sure of that? It almost seems criminal to have a rule like that.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I found Send Cut Send from a youtuber a few months ago, but I don't think they had the flat rate shipping deal at the time (if they did, I certainly missed it). I did upload a couple parts and shapes to get a sense of pricing, and can see myself using them for some stuff in the future. The flat rate shipping to Canada is hopefully something that is contagious.....

Last edited:

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
AND

If that is so how the heck does China ship a $5 item here through Canada post and charge me nothing for shipping?

That is more a explainable. Warning, boring stuff to follow.

The international postal union is agreement countries entered into regarding international mail. I believe its like this..... each country is supposed to charge for international postage an amount representative of the cost of getting the mail the to the other country and the sending country gets most (in not all) of the postage. The receiving country delivers it for little or no compensation, the idea is if they all do this, tit for tat, it'll even out. However the criticism is China subsidizes international postage rates, in contravention of the IPU. Unfair to our PO given its mostly one way traffic and unfair to North American businesses. They have a pattern of things like that designed to gain market share. Things that really their people pay the price for (e.g. pegged currency for decades, at a low rate), but it makes the goods more attractive to consumers here...I've seen the same item for the same price but its cheaper to buy from China after shipping is included.

Last edited:
That is more a explainable. Warning, boring stuff to follow.

The international postal union is agreement countries entered into regarding international mail. I believe its like this..... each country is supposed to charge for international postage an amount representative of the cost of getting the mail the to the other country and the sending country gets most (in not all) of the postage. The receiving country delivers it for little or no compensation, the idea is if they all do this, tit for tat, it'll even out. However the criticism is China subsidizes international postage rates, in contravention of the IPU. Unfair to our PO given its mostly one way traffic and unfair to North American businesses. They have a pattern of things like that designed to gain market share. Things that really their people pay the price for (e.g. pegged currency for decades, at a low rate), but it makes the goods more attractive to consumers here...I've seen the same item for the same price but its cheaper to buy from China after shipping is included.

Yep!

@Susquatch yes thats correct, found out years ago. It is one of the reasons why Canada Post is better shape than the US Post. However, it seems Amazon found a way around this catch.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yep!

@Susquatch yes thats correct, found out years ago. It is one of the reasons why Canada Post is better shape than the US Post. However, it seems Amazon found a way around this catch.

I don't know about Amazon's cost. What I do know is that their new carrier is faster, friendlier, more reliable, works on weekends, provides accurate tracking, delivers first thing in the morning, provides photo proof of delivery by txt at the time of delivery, hasn't sent anything from Ontario to Ontario by way of Vancouver, delivers in bad weather, and has not broken or lost anything yet. Yes, I am impressed.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Canada Post is better shape than the US Post.
The US Postal Service is a political football and is forced to lose huge sums every year because raising rates to actually cover their costs is unacceptable to the political masters. They DO however gouge as much as they think they can get away with on international shipping which is why rates from the US to Canada are very high. The money they make there is not nearly enough to offset the losses they're racking up on domestic service.

BTW, I believe that the US Postal Service used to make a huge amount of money on catalogue deliveries. 30 years ago, the average US household used to receive something like 1,200 catalogues per year. ONE THOUSAND, TWO HUNDRED! (This also supported a massive printing industry.) With the rise of the internet, almost all of those are gone. The few that remain are cut back to many fewer pages. [Historical anecdote ends here. ;)]

AIUI, YMMV, etc etc,

Craig

Rauce

Ultra Member
I don’t know when it happened but sendcutsend was previously USA only. I had looked into it a year ago or so.

I know someone in BC that was using the service with a mail forwarder and it was still cheaper than getting parts cut locally.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I haven't priced out cutting in a while but my sense is that is pretty good deal if all-in delivered. The shops where I live might have comparable per part cost, but a) minimum order syndrome, $100 is not uncommon b) additional 'setup or programming' charge $25-$50 has been my experience c) burn your gas to pick it up. The only deal I got was as a walk-in, material & file on USB stick & paid cash. Pretty sure it was invoiced to the left pocket & he did it at lunch time.

Well maybe its about time there was competition. I cant necessarily fault businesses that have commercial business to rely on & hobbyists are not a priority. But as they say, money flows where its most appreciated