• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Existing Feature Search term length

Suggjestion Type
  1. Forum Software

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Well, there is a way to do it but it's not very elegant....

Basically, you search our forum with Google instead of the built in search tool.

Here is the search term to get what you are after:

"site:canadianhobbymetalworkers.com els"

Just put the part between quotes into the search bar of Google. It may work on other browsers too, but I can't vouch for that.

I use it regularly when I get the zenforo error message.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Yeah, that’s definitely the klugey way. I figure that with the preponderance of TLAs that we should allow three letter search terms.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I've asked for this before. There are a number of things TLA's you can't search for. ELS yup. CNC. .. there are more too.... Josh had other more important things to fix. @Dabbler do you know how this problem was addressed on HM? there is another one you can't search for HM.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
got to be an OS or browser issue. Safari on iPad running 16.3.1

B8B09308-6183-42CB-95EA-3159E761CBD0.png

Attachments

• E8241D38-15D4-4395-828A-05122E2BE4C9.png
    E8241D38-15D4-4395-828A-05122E2BE4C9.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I've looked quite deeply into xenforo, and cannot figure why it will search for the letter "B" successfully on the HM forum (it finds "B & S Grinder", for instance) I'll try again fresh tomorrow.... There has to be a reason.... it is driving me bonkers!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Single quotes (ie 'els' not "els") worked for me on Chrome. Oddly, it picked up both ELS and els. That surprises me.

But I love it! It's way easier than doing a Google site search.

Thank you @whydontu!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
There has to be a reason.... it is driving me bonkers!

Dabbler going bonkers....... Now that would be a sight to see!

Screenshot_20230412_084230_Chrome.jpg

I found a better one with daffy and a magnifying glass investigating a problem, but it was copyrighted..... Too bad.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Single quotes (ie 'els' not "els") worked for me on Chrome. Oddly, it picked up both ELS and els. That surprises me.

But I love it! It's way easier than doing a Google site search.

Thank you @whydontu!
While 'els' works it shouldn't be necessary as it isn't over on HM running the same software.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
While 'els' works it shouldn't be necessary as it isn't over on HM running the same software.

I agree at the functional level.

But we also need to be mindful of the server load. Searching the forum using its own server is a potentially onerous process task - more and more so as the search terms get smaller. Expediting searches by creating on-going indexes is also onerous. Google and the other search engines do it as an integral part of their business raison d'etre. Our server doesn't. Routinely asking the server for short phrase searches might be more than we should ask of it. I think we should let Josh decide that.

In the meantime, using the Google site search has no server overhead and the quotes method is onerous enough that it wont get used very often.

I'm not personally fussed about it. I can get what I want when I need it. It's just too bad I don't have @YYCHM 's memory..... LOL!