• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Scratch built Knee Mill - Toronto - $4000

Rauce

Ultra Member

Price is a bit high but damn that’s cool.

“This mill was built from scratch by a brilliant machinist that had worked at the Avro Arrow plant. He had a full set of casting made from his patterns and machined them all to create this mill.”

Attachments

• 1FE155B2-42EF-4437-B537-183FB67491F7.jpeg
    1FE155B2-42EF-4437-B537-183FB67491F7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
Looking at the photos at least that price I may be close to what it is worth, given the vintage and skill level required to master all the talent to complete a task like this along with all the extras, it is not far from the mark and like better than the King or BB equivalents at full price new which are around $7000-$8000 plus extras.

Proxule

Ultra Member
Pppfffftttt Not even a quill down-feed, Worthless. :p:D
I like the story !
I would like to tickle his brain with a feather regarding the ways scraping, or what he did in that regard.

Thanks for posting.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Probably a first rate machine in its own right but my first thought and concern is that being a "one off" that parts access could be almost nill in the case of a failure....price should reflect that possibility.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Very impressive. I would imagine that by the time he had it all together he would have already wished he did a few things differently but who knows. The personal finish is in all likelihood far better than anything from BB.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I messaged the seller last night and still no reply.

There are a couple of issues I'd like clarification on... the table dimensions listed seem off. The weight seems a tad high and I feel the price is a tad high too.

The seller I think works on brass instruments so he should be able to answer questions on this mill. it certainly looks well made.

I've looked at grizzlies small knee mills many times in the past, and have been waiting hoping to find one used in Ontario but no such luck.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I will "trrrryyyy". Classifieds have special permissions.

NM - easy peasy and done!

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Probably a first rate machine in its own right but my first thought and concern is that being a "one off" that parts access could be almost nill in the case of a failure....price should reflect that possibility.

What parts? I've owned maybe 30 or 40 machine tools all second hand, some over 100 years old, many needing extensive work and I've never bought an OEM part. (hope I didn't just jinx myself lol). The stuff that wears out, bearings, belts, motors are commercial items, other bits and pieces you make and for wear you scrape.

imo its priced right, if as well made as it general appearance hints at. They don't sell by the pound, small stuff you can get down stairs that is in good shape should command a premium. Usually home mades are worthless because they are hack jobs....but that looks bloody impressive. Still, imo unless it performs some extremely unique function, its a misguided endeavour...if it is worth 4,000 the poor guy was working for less than 3 cents an hour lol.

Part of me me would like to go buy it, but with 7 mills/jig borers I haven't the space or need....but it looks a unique and nice machine. hmmmm.....where I can squeeze it in!?

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
Pppfffftttt Not even a quill down-feed, Worthless. :p:D
I like the story !
I would like to tickle his brain with a feather regarding the ways scraping, or what he did in that regard.

Thanks for posting.
It looks to have the downfeed rod there.

JReimer

That's really cool. got his own design casting done and everything. it would be fun to check out and see how it feels.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
My guess is that the original maker has probably passed on. Avro has been out of business for 60 years.

Likely made it for himself as a passion project.
no doubt, was just commenting that you really must have burning desire to say you made it to take on a project like that...i,e, you're not doing it to make or save money. As you say must of had a passion for it.

Maintenance man at a foundry perhaps? access to casting and machine tools....wonder if the own knows the story.