• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Schucks, now the shop is even more crowded shop - collets and a Habegger

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
you are welcome and apolgies for the the verbosity...been thinking about it so long it refreshing to share it with someone who might benefit from some of it

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
lol, man oh man. Once upon a time a man retired and wrote about what learned, words words word. Today everything has to be with pictures. A big improvement, but that means writing an article spans the time frame to do the projects.
Would e-publishing make your life any easier or is 90% of the task related to assembling the content itself? Reason I mention is I watched some e-pub training videos more out of curiosity on what is now LinkedIn Learning. The process it opened my eyes. It's actually a fascinating way to 'publish' if I can use that word loosely. I'm sure like most things there is a learning curve, pros & cons. But I came away with the feeling if I ever had something 'niche' to convey & the market was scattered around the world as many hobby pursuits are, that might be a good medium. I understand security measures to prevent cracking & re-distributing, but that aspect seems to be getting more robust? I wish the classic magazines like HSM would offer digital back issues. It's probably not as easy as I wish it would be. I still like the feel of paper/books & miss the magazines when they were good. But I can't imagine hardcopy printing & shipping is ever going to get less expensive. And advertising fluff getting in the way of content is becoming worse not better IMO. Maybe digital content will become more prevalent.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Peter, I don't think it would make it easier for me; I submit text and images and they (publisher) does the layout, editing, printing etc. This flies in the face of our modern world, however I don't think I'd be a fan of digital mag or digital back issues.....imo it would cut into mag sales. Too easy to forego subscribing today, safe in knowledge you could always buy the disk later. Its small hobby with limited content providers, a 'fragile ecosystem' so to speak :)

There may be better ways to skin the cat, I'm not up on the latest and greatest with e-publishing so my remarks perhaps aren't seeing over the next hill. However I think a lot of small circulation mags partially exist and are supported by publishers to fill print capacity. Publisher want high press utilization obviously. Take that away, you lose all the value they provide that takes it from a rough submission to polished article

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
I haven’t been able to find a machining mag since the first lockdown at Chapters that really screws up the order!

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
progress report.

The guy who sold it to me is a friend and had never set this lathe up....he didn't pick up on the 10 thou of end play in the spindle! He freaked when I told him, offered money back, pay to fix, etc .... but I really like this lathe so in I went.

Fortunately I found the problem and got it all work, not a 10ths runout on the spindle or the collets! (videos below).

modzOhO.jpg

D8eW7rS.jpg

As I hadn't been the one to take the unmolested lathe apart, and it was fairly complex, I really didn't know what was wrong or what to look for. I measured everything and basically reverse engineered it, working through the bearing system and its preload arrangement. Eventually I figured out the bellville washers, were suppose to be creating preload on the outboard race of the AC's and the previous character had oriented them incorrectly. Man, like days to get there as I took it slowly and did several trial assemblies.

I got it back together and the run out is unbelievably low. less than tenth....and check out the collets...hardinge x 64ths. Lathe with collets was on kijiji, not some insider deal (just turns out I the guy well). whole package in the low 2's.

hTUbsyD.jpg

pktBBb7.jpg

Y6FjwTy.jpg

Here's a couple of videos showing the agony of defeat and the thrill of victory

Oh no!

Yes! (spindle (non)runout 1:06, runout with collet 4;05)