Scammed on Kijiji: Jabobs 3/4" Chuck turns out to be 17/32 chuck

Seller in Edmonton had a ad for a 'Jacobs 3/4" chuck' with a pic of the chuck on a MT1 arbor from 24" away. $40, and I'm in Calgary

I know 3/4" jabocs chucks, even the base model ones, are $325+ so I contact the seller and ask for pics of any lettering on the chuck. I get a vague answer "what lettering?" which should have been my first clue. I ask to confirm its a jacobs chuck, and the seller sends me a pic of the writing on the chuck snout saying 'jacobs chuck'. So I figure what the heck, maybe it really is a 3/4" chuck so i ask the seller to ship it to me at my cost ($18).

Chuck arrives and while its a Jacobs Chuck in nice shape (not a super chuck) its not a 3/4" as advertised. Chuck says clearly its a 0-17/32" capacity. So I paid $58 for a used 17/32" chuck... FML... At least the jaws look to be in mint shape.

I email the seller on kijiji and inform them its a 17/32" chuck. No response. Kijiji wont even let me post a negative review on the seller. F**k.

Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Drats. Well you asked all the right questions. The size is rather unfortunate goofup, everyone should be able to open up the jaws & verify what fits in the hole.

But labelling is getting to be a minefield. There is probably many flavors:
- Jacobs made by Jacobs as in main USA facility
- Jacobs farmed out to other vendor by their specs & sold through distributers
- unrelated offshore makers using a label like 'Jacobs style' (mild bait deception but at least its in the fine print)
- unrelated offshore maker not even bothering with the useful addendum (Jacobs)
So even if it was 3/4" hard to know what he had without even more questions

examples
$790 list ($insanity)

$86 (looks offshore, but what flavor?)

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well, personally I think you are lucky you paid and they actually mailed something back!

For these that do not know, I have an MT1 arbor that fits my Jacobs 1 in chuck... Not sure why this exists, but it does.