• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

SBR? rail cross slide

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Any of you CNC project guys know of suppliers of these kinds of linear slide rails, or does everyone just shop China via Ebay etc? Not sure I have the terminology right. I'm interested in the kind like pic where the circular section guide rails are supported to underlying base (as opposed to cantilevered unsupported extending from end blocks). Not interested in motorized but do want the ballscrew/handle type feature. Any forums where stuff like this comes up new in case hairbrained idea doesn't pan out? Guessing 300mm size would be about right.

Attachments

• SNAG-2-17-2022 004.jpg
    SNAG-2-17-2022 004.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 11

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Or maybe this style with rectangular slides - although they seem to be more expensive for same travel size

Attachments

• SNAG-2-17-2022 005.jpg
    SNAG-2-17-2022 005.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 5

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Or maybe this style with rectangular slides - although they seem to be more expensive for same travel size
This looks almost exactly like the Z axis on my router.
Pair of HGR rails and blocks
Ball screw and nut
Some 1/2" aluminum and you're good to go.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks David. In general terms are the round rail considered more rigid / less deflection than the rectangular, or maybe there is more to it than that in the specs somewhere?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The square rails are generally considered to be more accurate and rigid than the round rails.