Running a 380V 3ph motor on 220v 3ph

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I managed to decipher the motor badge on the 3ph motor I pulled off a shaper. The motor turns out to be 380V. Well, it seems to run fine on 220V 3ph power from a phase convertor as I had previously started it there. From what I googled, if the motor has 6 leads exposed, and you wire it 'Delta', you can run it on 220V? Well, there are 6 leads exposed and from my understanding of electricity and wiring it is wired 'delta'.

The questions:

1. Any harm (to the motor) to doing this?
2. Is it running at regular power or is it reduced?
3. Impact to RPM? (I'll know later tonight as I'll test it)
4. Bite the bullet and get a transformer?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Hey Kevin, you build a still out there:p New avatar....

Last edited:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
On my Deckel FP3 L there is a 380V/240V 3 phase motor installed. The HP rating remains, just the current draw goes up at the lower voltage, RPM stays same (you already know that).

Here is the data plate of the motor.
D8192D48-C797-4A64-B8D0-5DEE183AA9E0.jpeg

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hey Kevin, you build a still out there:p Change in your avatar....

I think its an imposter:).
Drinking Courvoisier out of a glass a bit of a stretch, might want to check the IP's
I think your ok with the 220 as suggested by Robin hood, if you have an ac current clamp you can always hook it on and see what kind of draw your getting.

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
I managed to decipher the motor badge on the 3ph motor I pulled off a shaper. The motor turns out to be 380V. Well, it seems to run fine on 220V 3ph power from a phase convertor as I had previously started it there. From what I googled, if the motor has 6 leads exposed, and you wire it 'Delta', you can run it on 220V? Well, there are 6 leads exposed and from my understanding of electricity and wiring it is wired 'delta'.

The questions:

1. Any harm (to the motor) to doing this?
2. Is it running at regular power or is it reduced?
3. Impact to RPM? (I'll know later tonight as I'll test it)
4. Bite the bullet and get a transformer?
When I owned it, I ran it on 220v 3ph for years. If you have a wiring diagram there for 380v hookup, you should see that the motor leads do not match it.