• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Robot arm - Victoria

Looks like a bigger version of my kid's Armatron.
I'm already way too deep down this rabbit hole to try and get something surplus working. Every few days more stuff arrives.
And yesterday I actually started cleaning out cardboard boxes of stuff and organizing. Found a couple of solid state relays with Princess Auto price tags on them. Totally forgot I even had them.
Since I replaced the DC brushed servos on my mill with AC servo's I now have two extra motors, four HP_UHU servo drives (2 partially assembled) and two DC Servo Drive modules from Gecko. An extra CUI encoder and the two US digital encoders a swapped out for CUI thinking that was the problem with the motors. Three small DC motors with encoders on the back. They were originally thought to be useful for a robot arm of my own design...
And the list goes on...
But thanks for posting that.

that looks like a lot of fun to try out. a lot of headaches as well. Anyone going across from the island that this can catch a ride with? I live in Chilliwack so I can't quite make the trek.

that looks like a lot of fun to try out. a lot of headaches as well. Anyone going across from the island that this can catch a ride with? I live in Chilliwack so I can't quite make the trek.
One of the photos of a motor looked like it was brushed DC servos. The real question on something like that is how you even control it. And that's the beginning of the rabbit hole. I think to buy it for the parts that might be repurposed for a CNC router.
The AR3 I'm constructing uses Arduino supported Teensy processors and PC software written in Python. Who knows what kind of software is required to make that unit move. But $150 for some chains, motors and encoders likely is good junk box investment.

Some of the motors aren't cheap either.
ouch - thanks for the info.

Yeah I have a pretty good start on a junk box, but it's a bit of an addiction when you see cool stuff that have potential Gotta add it to the shop. If no other reason then to stumble across when I try to clean up a few years from now and go 'wow I forgot about this, that's cool, I should do something with it."

But I feel like I am in good company on this site :)

ouch - thanks for the info.

Yeah I have a pretty good start on a junk box, but it's a bit of an addiction when you see cool stuff that have potential Gotta add it to the shop. If no other reason then to stumble across when I try to clean up a few years from now and go 'wow I forgot about this, that's cool, I should do something with it."

But I feel like I am in good company on this site :)
I've been chatting with the guy in View Royal. I'll get it for you and bring it over the next time I'm on the mainland. I get things assembled by Pick & Place at NDS Electronics in Coquitlam. Last trip was a few weeks ago but you never know. I'm submitting a quote to my customer for more units. I could store it for a month or two if you want.

I've been chatting with the guy in View Royal. I'll get it for you and bring it over the next time I'm on the mainland. I get things assembled by Pick & Place at NDS Electronics in Coquitlam. Last trip was a few weeks ago but you never know. I'm submitting a quote to my customer for more units. I could store it for a month or two if you want.
I haven't bought it from the guy. Waiting for confirmation. I think even if the arm doesn't work the DC servos are probably worth the price assuming they work. Can't get a lot for $150 nowadays.

Back