Rob Renzetti chuck jaw refurb

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Very interesting demo & discussion, particularly jaw distortion, his jaw preloading method & remediation. Can't believe how hard turning can go through, well, 'hard' materials like that. Note his caveats on that subject.
Also mentions a related factor to consider if experiencing parting problems. It could be the usual culprits, or it could be jaw condition not holding work the way we hope its holding work.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Just goes to prove that old adage. "Everything moves in response to a force. It's not if, it's just how much!"

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
surprised to see him using a Shars indicator. Must be his knock around unit...

(not knocking Shars, but Robin typically has the best of everything, measures to the millionths)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

(not knocking Shars, but Robin typically has the best of everything, measures to the millionths)

I have only one Shars dial test indicator. It is unlikely that I will ever get another. It was too "sticky" right from new.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I noticed that too. He uses a B&S 0.00005" at 6:27. I thought maybe he was measuring 2 faces simultaneously hence had to grab a 2nd DTI, but I dont think thats the case either. He uses the Shars again for rod/jaw referencing. Not sure there, maybe someone will ask.