• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Riverhurst Ferry

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
How the heck does that work in the spring when the ice breaks up.......

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I worked on the ferry for 7 years, great fun in the summer, not so great in late fall waiting for freeze up. The arthritis would act up a lot.:(

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You walk out on rotten ice or use a small boat to go out to the ferry, climb on board and fire up the engines. Commence to move it in to the dock, assuming the water level is high enough, it will bust through a lot of rotten ice. Wear appropriate gear, safety first.:)

Andrew_D

I took a loaded SuperB of grain (140,000 lbs) across the Riverhurst ferry 15-20 years ago. The rule then was 1 loaded semi or 2 empty semis. As long as I was the only semi in line, it was shorter to wait, even if the ferry had just left, than drive around. If there was a truck ahead of me, then I'd have to wait an extra rounder, and it was shorter to drive around.

They'd have me drive on first and park dead center on the ferry. Then load cars and pickups around me. At the other side, unload all the cars and pickups first. Me last.

Andrew

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
They unload the loaded trucks last when possible because of the long hill climb getting out of the river valley, trucks take a lot longer to get up to speed.