• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

right angle die grinders

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
While visiting Janger, I was impressed with his right angle die grinders for surface conditioning and burr removal... He uses Roloc disks to do this and I thought the idea was fantastic... I don't have air in my shop right now, and don't want the irritating air tools noise - even his 'quiet' air tool is a little loud for me.

I was thinking of getting a Milwalkee right angle die grinder, and JNielsen found a pretty good deal, so I went for it. Man, is it quiet! I also bought a bag of those offshore 80 pc Roloc - clone sanding disk sets with arbor and backer.

I found the tool to work very well, and the cheap abrasives to do as expected... If I use them on edges, the grit pulls off rather that load up. But I don't have high expectations for abrasives that cost 32 cents each. They do the job, and I'm sure they have shorter life than genuine 3M product.

However I found out that these bags of Rolloc disks also include a 1/4" hex arbor, and I tried it in my Dewalt 20V impact gun, and darn! it works far better than expected... Not the 24,000 RPM of the Milwalkee, but adequate for most purposes.

So I didn't waste my money on the Milwalkee, but I could have put off the purchase a little had I known this, and possibly found a cheaper alternative. All parts of this test were a success!

Die Grinder test-SM.jpg

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Very nice my neighbor had bought the right angle impact wrench for doing tires very fast and very quiet, this one should serve you well.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have the same one, perfect for my light duty needs. I already had the batteries from other Milwaukee tools so its kind of like a gateway drug - you find yourself always going back to the red brand dealer LoL

I also sampled this style of abrasive wheel, they come in many grit / diameter / profiles. I like them.
1624058254304.png

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have the same one, perfect for my light duty needs. I already had the batteries from other Milwaukee tools so its kind of like a gateway drug - you find yourself always going back to the red brand dealer LoL

I also sampled this style of abrasive wheel, they come in many grit / diameter / profiles. I like them.
View attachment 15484

I have seen those. Wondered what they were like? Seem to stand up ok? I also have a Harbour Freight selection of the Roloc discs. They are great and get used lots.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
20FA3832-919E-4006-855E-4DE2B1EDDC0C.png 1253186B-BF39-45C0-8DAB-02E5D7E2D2C4.png
They make an arbour for zip discs, they work great. Probably should only use a 3” disc, 4” gets too close to fingers. Works awesome in right angle die grinders where a full size grinder won’t fit. Hydraulic hoses, rivets, frozen screws, making a philips head screw into a flathead....the uses are endless