RF-30 Clone.... someone take measurements for me?

BaitMaster

Super User
Thanks guys. It’s official by the way…. This part is in business! I can’t make the taper slip by pressing hard on the handle, at least until the handle flexes and I’m worried about breaking. So no more slipping, and hello milling!

Attachments

• A7904AF5-D81E-424C-8EB0-37E35CAFBBBF.jpeg
    A7904AF5-D81E-424C-8EB0-37E35CAFBBBF.jpeg
    469.2 KB · Views: 10
  • CB3462E5-8EFE-4CC7-9DE3-0B5B4E8B5110.jpeg
    CB3462E5-8EFE-4CC7-9DE3-0B5B4E8B5110.jpeg
    449.2 KB · Views: 10

BaitMaster

Super User
Next is finish tearing down and rebuilding this milling machine….. I’m done tearing down the spindle piece and just waiting for a few new bearings….

Some bearings already done, about to pull the head casting and column casting, clean, wire brush, etc.

I’m thinking of getting the work bed surfaced a little as it has some dings.

There’s a fellow in town with a automotive machine shop with some huge surfacing stones for semi engine cylinder heads so I might see if he wants to take a crack at it.

Wondering if it would be worth doing a ball screw/ cnc conversion on this thing right away….

I might be getting ahead of myself.

But that’s what’s next I guess.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
There’s a fellow in town with a automotive machine shop with some huge surfacing stones for semi engine cylinder heads so I might see if he wants to take a crack at it.

Engine cylinder heads just need to be flat. They don't need to be perfectly parallel to the ways. So, I'd be leery of doing that. A few pecker marks don't affect the function. You can fill them with epoxy if they bother you that much.

Industry practice is to use an india stone to carefully stone off the high metal that have pushed up surrounding the dings, flush to the factory ground bed surface. The indentations won’t affect your setup once the high spots are gone.