• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Reynolds museum cancellations

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Oh I mean the special shows are cancelled, metal artisan thing in October. I enjoyed seeing that stuff couple years ago

francist

Super User
Speaking of making, there have been a bunch of new video releases from the Ken Hawley Trust this past week. A lot of them are fairly short — maybe 6 or 8 minutes all the way up to about half an hour — and featuring the last hand makers and fitters working in Sheffield before they disappeared forever. Worth a watch if you like seeing someone who is really, really good at doing something, and also worth it just to see how some of the common things I’m sure many of grew up with were made. Here’s a link:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ-tSdWLq8_dA9ytqBfm1UA

Edit : this latest series is called “Masters of Metalworking”, I think.

-frank

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Speaking of making, there have been a bunch of new video releases from the Ken Hawley Trust this past week. A lot of them are fairly short — maybe 6 or 8 minutes all the way up to about half an hour — and featuring the last hand makers and fitters working in Sheffield before they disappeared forever. Worth a watch if you like seeing someone who is really, really good at doing something, and also worth it just to see how some of the common things I’m sure many of grew up with were made. Here’s a link:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ-tSdWLq8_dA9ytqBfm1UA

Edit : this latest series is called “Masters of Metalworking”, I think.

-frank
Thanks for the link Frank, looks like some very interesting videos!
Edit: the scissor video is amazing!

Last edited:

francist

Super User
Yeah, it is really cool stuff. Makes me sad sometimes to watch those guys and recognize how much of their lives they dedicated to making that perfect product. And then “poof”, they’re gone and nobody even seems to know they were there. I’m looking forward to the one on the tea pot handle fitter — I started doing those in town when Birks stopped repairing and nobody had been shown how to do it.

-frank