Return Spring for Drill Press

Tom Fitzpatrick

Modern Tool was able to help with one that is close - a few modifications are in store. Thank you for the assistance. Much appreciated - I knew this group would have an answer.

Dr.Fiero

Try KMS. Bring your old one, and just look at the floor models. You might find it easier if you swap the whole spring case as well, then you're not limited to the width of your existing spring. You might have to drill out the center of the case to match your handle shaft poking out. Note the direction of the twist.

FYI - I was the parts guy at JET from 90-2K (in Vancouver) and when I started there (32 years ago!) the parts for the 13R had already been discontinued!
edit: I was also the service manager for KMS from '13-'15!

Tom Fitzpatrick

Already tried KMS - they were less than helpful. Took the old spring in to match it up with floor models, but rep in machine tools section said they had nothing like that.
As I said earlier the parts rep at Modern Tool was very helpful & he found one that is close (drilling centre hole larger & modifying my stop as new unit a bit larger diameter).
Thanks ALL for your suggestions.
Often wondered why Jet doesn’t sell their machine tools on this side of 49th parallel. I can buy hand tools (sockets, ratchets, punches, etc. at Calgary Fast & other Industrial suppliers but not machine tools). Have seen their machine line in US and these tools are very well made. ‍♂️♂️

Dr.Fiero

KMS will be hit n' miss depending on the person - see now if *I* was still there... hahaha...

JET used to sell machinery up north here. But since I've been there they've been sold off 3 times. Each time something came, something left. All of our stuff when I was there came out of Taiwan or Japan. It was pretty good stuff!

Keep looking around though. You just need a spring and cap that are pretty close. Then mod to match. Shouldn't be more than about $20 give or take.

Crankit

There's only a few companies building Taiwanese drill presses, Look at the design of yours and compare to drill press from companies like Grizzly, as they have parts listings for machinery they sell. I got a part from them for a 30 year old Craftsman 20" drill press which had a close enough fit that I was easily able to make it work. They shipped out of Quebec

Cheers,