• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Replacement inserts for face milling cutter..

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I got a face mill cutter with the purchase of my used milling machine and think it would be a good idea to have some extra inserts on hand.
I have browsed some sites and catalogs and I think the shape I have is considered a "APKT" style ??? But then I thought I saw some that were called something else??? I know there is different finishes and materials but I just want to get the style/size right. I assume the "M2" is the material the insert is made of but what does the "80" mean?

Attachments

• 20200720_094026.jpg
    20200720_094026.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 0

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Identify them by measuring the actual insert size in mm, how wide it is, how high and how thick + hole size. You may also want to get same or similar radios (how curved the insert is) and "attack angle" - usually I think it is around 7 deg.

Should be on aliexpress for around $20 a pack.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Identify them by measuring the actual insert size in mm, how wide it is, how high and how thick + hole size. You may also want to get same or similar radios (how curved the insert is) and "attack angle" - usually I think it is around 7 deg.

Should be on aliexpress for around $20 a pack.
Ok thanks

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I found that same M2 designation on ebay ad but no explanation of what it means, I highly doubt it corresponds to fastener size as mentioned, 2mm is too tiny.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-APMT...-milling-cutter-inserts-APKT1604/162847844643

This link provides a bit of insight for the common designations - possibly field 8 = extra corner clearance? My inserts have the same corner & I'm quite sure they can be rotated 180 deg to use the opposing corner
https://www.lovejoytool.com/insnomen.htm

Some providers just have their own lingo.

Attachments

• 2020-07-20_19-20-45.jpg
    2020-07-20_19-20-45.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 0
  • SNAG-7-20-2020 0000.jpg
    SNAG-7-20-2020 0000.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 0

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ya my brain doesn't seem to be working at optimum today.....I finally clued into it myself later today that the holding screw couldn't be that small either. Here's a picture of a m2 screw beside the insert and its correct screw. I do have other inserts that use only a m3 screw however.

Attachments

• 20200720_193739.jpg
    20200720_193739.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 0

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I just saw some on aliexpress while answering another HSS insert related question either M3 or M2 and for around $10 a pack.