• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Repair for lathe (Emco V13)

taem111

I bought this lathe at auction after a discussion with the owner who I am sorry to say misrepresented the machine. However, my immediate problem is finding a shop in nearby Quebec (i am 6k from the border in Vermont) which would undertake some repairs. The lathe was damaged in shipping: impact on headstock which is leaking and misaligned, bent lead screw, some electrical problems now fixed, and who knows what else. I am trying to get estimates for repair for the insurance co (realizing that not all the problems are from the shipping) Vermont is scarce on machinists shops, and no one will offer to take this even to estimate a repair, but I hope between me and Montreal there is someone who might tackle this. Inquiries on the web haven't yielded anything. Any suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• damage 1.webp
    damage 1.webp
    52.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Damage 5.webp
    Damage 5.webp
    21.8 KB · Views: 36
  • pallet broken underneath.jpg
    pallet broken underneath.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 35
If you have a bent lead screw, I wonder how straight is the bed? If that has been damaged, your machine might be a write off

At some point you have to decide if it's worth repairing or if it's better to sell the parts and try again. It's a bit discouraging to know the headstock and leadscrew are misaligned. That could mean the bed is misaligned too.

I might be tempted to loosen off the headstock screws and see if things can be put back into better alignment so I could check the bed. Some headstocks just sit on bed ways and some don't. If all goes easy peasy, then I might dig further. If not, I'd want to at least dig far enough to know why not.

Keep in mind that a lot of things can be checked without power by sticking it into neutral. Some lathes have no neutral, but can be put between gears to get the same thing.

Bottom line is that throwing money at a write-off isn't usually a good idea.

There is a member in Sherbrooke who might be able to point you at shops in the area - if there are any. But personally, I think that's a long shot. Shoot @lucsimoneau a PM and hope he gets a notification. Best to be patient.

Also, a few guys in New Brunswick.

That is a really nice lathe, definitely worth fixing unless they've broken the bed in two lol.

I don't understand the photos; just likes like minor sheet metal issues are being shown?

To get estimates, imo, you to got from "fix my lathe" to pricing individual parts and tasks. I doubt there are any places that simply fix lathes. There are machine tool reconditioners (scraping), but they are not the same people who could make a new ground leadscrew for example. There are spindle shops that will replace bearings, but they're going to do sheet metal. I wouldn't expect any of them to be good at work outside of their specialty.

Break it down by individual trades and specialties, do drawings, get quotes.

If you outsourced everything could add up to a write off for insurance, which is ok ..... accept the cheque then get busy fixing it

As both @Susquatch and @Mcgyver have noted you need to start somewhere, that would be the price of a new lathe, followed by the price of a used lathe the same as brought condishion this one was in.
Maybe brought unseen?
This perhaps (likely) followed by priceing the known visible parts needing replacement. If they are to be found!
Putting unit on the floor and slowly levelling it maybe a good next step. Finding out if the head stock is misaligned or just looks that way would be important.
I don't know if you are familure with how this lathe should look. Some pictures from the net may/could help. Leaks can be from a number of things, worn seals, simple ones are over filled cases, temputures changes causing leakage, others are, not keeping lathe level or near level causing leakage from cases.
And always, if it was laid on side from mishandling or mishap, too heavy!
You have stated that electrical has already had some work done. It would be nice to see some pictures of all the lathe, not just the back.
You would be very lucky to find anyone to take a job like this on, I would not give any kind of price for this or of your liking of finished work as no one would know where or what problems maybe found and how much work to get there.
Note, if this is your dream lathe, it could be worth a lot of time and money, if not, it could be some else's .

Last edited:
Misrepresentation and shipping damage, double whammy. Are there pictures and documentation to show one from the other.

What does the seller say about the misrepresentation and is it worth pursuing?

If it's insured to cover the purchase price and shipping they may right it off, that would suck even more.

Hopefully all works out well for you.

As both @Susquatch
This perhaps (likely) followed by priceing the known visible parts needing replacement. If they are to be found!

They probably can't, but all of it was made by a biped so can be again . .i.e., forget looking for a NOS lead screws, do a drawing, properly with tolerances and finishes, and send it to someone capable of make a ground precision screw. Take their 4000 quote (or whatever it is) and add it to the pile to present the adjuster. reality is you'd straighten whats there or buy a stock precision screw and put new ends on it, but if the task is documentation to present to insurance and the adjuster, that is one way to come at it.

Curious if you specifically bought insurance or if you are just going after the carrier. I've heard stories that its next to impossible to collect from the carrier, so please keep us posted on how this all works out

They probably can't, but all of it was made by a biped so can be again . .i.e., forget looking for a NOS lead screws, do a drawing, properly with tolerances and finishes, and send it to someone capable of make a ground precision screw. Take their 4000 quote (or whatever it is) and add it to the pile to present the adjuster. reality is you'd straighten whats there or buy a stock precision screw and put new ends on it, but if the task is documentation to present to insurance and the adjuster, that is one way to come at it.

Curious if you specifically bought insurance or if you are just going after the carrier. I've heard stories that its next to impossible to collect from the carrier, so please keep us posted on how this all works out
This is insurance from carrier purchased to cover cost of machine and fees; they seem businesslike but keep asking for more and more information, hence the desire to get a professional appraisal. I've not found anyone withing a few hundred miles in the US who would even look at it, but being not too far from Montreal, I hoped for some real precision rebuilder to deal with.

Back