Remote camera systems

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Anybody here using a remote camera system to monitor out buildings? My daughter is looking at setting up something to monitor the barn during calving season, 3or 4 cameras likely. The major problem i can see is distance from barn to her house, 3-400 yards, that may not be an issue if using a phone for viewing. I have no clue when it comes to electronics other than don't stick your fingers in n outlet box. Another issue could be the wet environment the cameras would be exposed to.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Outdoor security cameras are readily available. I use both Toucan and Arlos. They connect via wifi and have rechargeable batteries. They each have their strengths. I prefer the Arlo. Both need an internet connection. If you have WiFi internet in the barn, you should be all set. If not, I'd put WiFi in first. I extend the house to my barn with a WiFi Bridge.

You can also get cellular Trail Cam's now.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
They both have surprising range, mine easily go 100 yards but I doubt either one would reach 3-400. If your barn is steel sided, the cameras will never reach your house WiFi.

The biggest problem with both is the lag. The signal loop can be minutes. That isn't a problem in your case.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Anybody here using a remote camera system to monitor out buildings? My daughter is looking at setting up something to monitor the barn during calving season, 3or 4 cameras likely. The major problem i can see is distance from barn to her house, 3-400 yards, that may not be an issue if using a phone for viewing. I have no clue when it comes to electronics other than don't stick your fingers in n outlet box. Another issue could be the wet environment the cameras would be exposed to.
I suggest talking to another cattle producer, I believe my brothers have used a couple different systems in their operation with different results. I don't know what they use but if I get a chance I'll ask them and pass on any relevant information.

I bought a camera system off Amazon a couple of years ago. I think the hardware and the performance of it all is decent but setting it up with the horrendous software interface is a nightmare. Directions and correspondence with Chinese manufacturer was just another level of confusion.

And just like all other technology, there can be vast improvements in just a few years.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
A close neighbor of ours was investigating the same type of system for his herd ( 300 cows) and asked a local Hutterite Brethren colony what they used as they are usually out on the cutting edge of new technology, their answer..." we tried the best we could buy and ended up going back to regular personnel visits, much better surveillance" .
They claimed the camera angle and lighting was always bad for what they wanted to see and had to attend anyways.
They came up with the solution for my neighbor...they would check his herd along with theirs from dusk to dawn for a small % of the calf crop...no cash transaction.
He loves the situation as when a cow has an issue they pull the calf same as if it were one of their own, he doesn't even know it's happening or have to get out of bed....man I used to hate when we had a bunch of heifer carry-overs to first calf....sleep was non existent for weeks on end.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
They both have surprising range, mine easily go 100 yards but I doubt either one would reach 3-400. If your barn is steel sided, the cameras will never reach your house WiFi.

The biggest problem with both is the lag. The signal loop can be minutes. That isn't a problem in your case.

Get a directional wifi booster link into a security PVR and use barn building power for local around barn cameras and PVR. Cameras are hardwired in prevent signal loss.

Longest wireless bridge I've been involved with is 4-500m though longer is possible.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
A close neighbor of ours was investigating the same type of system for his herd ( 300 cows) and asked a local Hutterite Brethren colony what they used as they are usually out on the cutting edge of new technology, their answer..." we tried the best we could buy and ended up going back to regular personnel visits, much better surveillance" .
They claimed the camera angle and lighting was always bad for what they wanted to see and had to attend anyways.

Always seems like the human is better than technology!

Sorry if my previous note wasn't clear @6.5 Fan. When I said 100 yards for WiFi, I meant using a home router. The point to point WiFi bridge between my house and my barn is good for something like 24km. It is extremely directional. I dont link devices to it - just the bridge. On the barn end of the bridge I have another WiFi access point that provides service inside the barn and the immediate vicinity. This gives me seamless use of my home network around my whole farm for printing, file serving, and other services like security.

I like the battery powered cameras because I don't pay any fees and can put them where ever I need them without worrying about power or internet. The rechargeable batteries last over a month and only take an hour to charge.

I can also set alerts for movement and they can recognize people vs animals and then I can check them from my phone.

When my dad was dying of cancer, I put one in his room so I could always check on him to help him when needed. It was like a high powered baby monitor.

I also used one to watch for racoons raiding my purple Martin house.

You can also use your phone to zoom in on specific areas of interest and they include infrared for night vision.

If I could get a neighbour to check things for me 24/7, I wouldn't have cameras.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Kind of figured the distance would be a big issue, barn is steel clad also. We do regular checks outside but cameras inside would be a bit of a time saver, heifers can be slow to get on with the job at hand and can require more help. Daughter has a friend that is up on this kind of tech, i may just stay the hell out of it, way above my pay grade. :rolleyes: