• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Reilang oiler mod

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've had this oiler sitting in its box for I don't know how long. The nipple didn't fit my oiler size so somehow it got pushed to the side & forgotten. So I finally cut the tip off, made a new one & epoxied it on. This has a serious pump! Swiss made unit, built like a tank. One pull of the handle & it it flooded the underside of my carriage coming out both sides. I have never seen that with my existing anemic oiler. I just assumed the passages must be constrictive, pressures up & bends the tuna can trigger. So it will be relegated to old man dribble jobs at atmospheric pressure LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_5178_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5178_edited-1.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5179_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5179_edited-1.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5180_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5180_edited-1.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5204_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5204_edited-1.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 15

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I had assumed someone would ask and I would understand your post, but it hasn't happened. So I'll be the hippy to ask the dumb questions...... LOL!

This has a serious pump! Swiss made unit, built like a tank. One pull of the handle & it it flooded the underside of my carriage coming out both sides.

Nothing about that says anything bad.

Makes me want one. Actually I already have one that doesn't fit my oilers either. So it makes me want to make a new tip too.

I just assumed the passages must be constrictive, pressures up & bends the tuna can trigger.

So this makes it sound horrible now!

You bent the handle that fast? Prolly cuz you tried to put 20L of oil in there in a half second. What the heck did you do to it!

So it will be relegated to old man dribble jobs at atmospheric pressure LOL.

"Old man dribble"??? That's an image I may have nightmares about.......

From amazing to derelict in two short paragraphs. I dunno why you posted this Peter.

Ya, I think I'm gunna go dribble somewhere and leave my Reilang in the cupboard to rot now.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Speaking about Dribbling.......

This little ball oiler right here is my dribbling nemesis. IT TOTALLY SUCKS!

20230221_101027~2.jpg

I can't get an oiler in there without dribbling everywhere except into the oiler.

If I could find a VERY SHORT 90 degree tip I might have some joy. As it is, all I do is dribble.... :(

My chosen solution to date is to extend the shaft and put oil right on the splines, then move it back and forth. You can see the mess that approach makes. The oiler itself is a useless old dribbler.......

Side Note - a big thanks to @slow-poke for the excuse to go out to my shop. The wife went to town again. God I love my organized chaos......

Edit - I decided to start a new thread for this problem. It will be project 42F-23.

Thread 'A tiny right angle ball oiler tip.' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/a-tiny-right-angle-ball-oiler-tip.6880/

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think he's refereing to his old oiler as being a dribbling POS.

Exactly. This is the one I put out to pasture. I like the size & actually I think the pump is capable of delivering. Its the handle that keeps bending at the elbow. Its made from stamped tuna can with a hole in the middle for the delivery tube to pass through. They didn't run FEA simulation or it would have been glowing 'yield point red' in that area LOL.

1677008909017.png

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Exactly. This is the one I put out to pasture. I like the size & actually I think the pump is capable of delivering. Its the handle that keeps bending at the elbow. Its made from stamped tuna can with a hole in the middle for the delivery tube to pass through. They didn't run FEA simulation or it would have been glowing 'yield point red' in that area LOL.

View attachment 31043

You bent the golden rod pump arm? Do I have this right? My golden rods are pretty sturdy. Not like the Reilang, but still WAY better than the PA ones I trashed.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member

View attachment 31043
I have a couple Goldenrod oilers, but I use them just to fill the oil cups on the lathe, or right n the ways, and work quite well for those chores. But yeah, the lid and pump handle... tuna can!!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have a couple Goldenrod oilers, but I use them just to fill the oil cups on the lathe, or right n the ways, and work quite well for those chores. But yeah, the lid and pump handle... tuna can!!

I really don't think so. My PA's were Tuna Cans. The Goldenrods are around a 16th and have some curvature for moment of area improvement.

FWIW though, the Reilangs are 1/8 or so.