• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Reconditioning a Lathe - Dealing with the Tailstock Quill

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Man, it is bloody tough making an non-boring video! lol. New respect for the youtube slicksters

Here's some clips on how to re-do a tailstock quill, shooting for a high level of accuracy. I managed to get it to a tenth or two and I got the fit such that it turns freely but won't drop out if held vertically. One little part, but with set up, bits and pieces to make it etc was the better part of two weekends.

Its also the second attempt (all and all it was more like two months not two weeks :( ), the first was complicated.....I wasn't happy with the ground finish but was running out of grinding allowance so finished the OD by lapping (diamond, on the lathe), but I don't think I maintained the straightness. The fit was good, but I couldn't get the collet aligned well (was out 1/2 a thou no matter what I did). Called the plater, he said yeah, he can plate over the remaining plate that's there. Ground it clean and took it in. Apparently NO, you cannot plate over it! (the remaining plate was about .002", it was too thin and bubbled). Another trip to the depths of Scarborough, picked it up, ground off all the chrome, then back to plater to drop off for replating. This video picks up on working it after that.

Last edited:

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Enjoyable video Mike, sounds like quite an adventure with the plating. I went back and watched all your others as well and I also hit that subscribe button waiting for more....