• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Rear mounted parting blade.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Any additional info you could provide would be appreciated.
Basically, to sharpen the tool you only grind one surface. it works well with interrupted cuts and different materials.

I know you dislike youtube, but:

I had them recommended to me by several people, and have yet to grind my own single point tools, just the 1/4” square for the tangential tool holder.
I ordered both LH and RH, but I could have gotten away without purchasing both. Postage to Canada was horrible…

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I know you dislike youtube, but:

I will almost always watch a YouTube video if it is recommended to me by someone who was thinking of me personally. So I watched the whole video. Thank you.

I had them recommended to me by several people, and have yet to grind my own single point tools, just the 1/4” square for the tangential tool holder.
I ordered both LH and RH, but I could have gotten away without purchasing both. Postage to Canada was horrible…

In my opinion, the only thing unique about this tool is the way it is held and the relative simplicity of the grind.

What most people don't realize is that it is the top of the tool that does the cutting. That is true of this tool and almost all tools. However, the way this tool is held and ground makes it much easier to see that and also easier to use too.

I also noticed that they did use the tool as a shear tool and mentioned the superior finish that this method produces. However, the shear angle they used was much shallower than what I normally use. I will have to try that to see what kind of difference it makes.

I don't know if I like the way the tool is held. Pinched like that in the holder along the same line as the cutting force might tend to move the tool in the holder - especially on interrupted cuts.

I would also think it's not as universal as they imply. The tool holder gets very close to the work and might interfere on some types of cuts.

It is the perfect tool when used with a rocker type tool post though. That may even be where he got the idea. I have some old rocker tools that hold HSS tool bits just like that when they are turned 90 degrees from the design intent.

Overall I like it. I'm not convinced that all the stated advantages are real though. Sounds more like marketing hype to me. Nonetheless, there are enough obvious real advantages to make it well worth trying. I'll have to make a holder.

Two questions:

What is the front angle from vertical? And what is the side angle from vertical when the tool is used for facing?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Pinched like that in the holder along the same line as the cutting force might tend to move the tool in the holder - especially on interrupted cuts.
The eccentric engineering diamond tool does NOT slip on my experience, not even with harsh beating interrupted cuts.
The tool holder gets very close to the work and might interfere on some types of cuts.
Yes the holder gets very close to the work and that's partly what gives it good rigidity. Yes some cuts it can get in the way and that's why they have a left hand version also. I own that one too but very seldom use it.

If I had to own only one lathe turning tool, I would own the Eccentric Engineering diamond tool holder. No way am I implying that it replaces all other turning tools but IF I had to have only one, I believe this is the easiest and most adaptable single tool if I had to choose just one.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If I had to own only one lathe turning tool, I would own the Eccentric Engineering diamond tool holder. No way am I implying that it replaces all other turning tools but IF I had to have only one, I believe this is the easiest and most adaptable single tool if I had to choose just one.

Wow. That's quite the endorsement. I'm gunna hafta try one of them.....

On another subject, how did you do this?

Screenshot_20240128_055145_Chrome.jpg

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Oh ya...I should have prefaced my endorsement of the diamond tool by stating that money was no consideration. For the cost of one diamond tool holder from Australia, a person could buy a pretty good selection of cheap turning tools and hss blanks that would also cover most turning operations.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
You are the second to mention tangential tools that I've seen.
I had one shipped to me about a month ago. The couple times I used it on the SB9 w/ import AXA tool post, it worked fine. Saw it while visiting @DPittman. I also picked up some 1/4" round (size recommended by EE) HSS bits on Amazon. Will give them a try down the road.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That isn't much help. Maybe it's a PC only function. Too bad cuz I like it. Useful when changing subjects or separating ideas.

That isn't much help. Maybe it's a PC only function. Too bad cuz I like it. Useful when changing subjects or separating ideas.
It should work for you. Hit the three dots that we use for emoji's and tap on the little line instead...... Just to the right of the box of four squares......

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nope not a PC only thing cuz I'm using my phone. It's under the three vertical dots that the drawn arrow was poorly pointing to, the underneath you will see an line symbol to select

Last edited: