• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Re-arranging the shop

John Conroy

Premium Member
Well my PM932 mill is sold so I spent the morning taking it down off the stand and moving the Ferro mill into it's place. Here are a few pics.

The shop started the day looking like this.

PB140084_zpss65jny0j.jpg

PB140085_zpsyrpa8fmd.jpg

To move the big mill I screwed the leveling feet down through the base as far as possible to raise the base enough the get my floor jack under it. I removed the jack pad and the front wheels from the jack so it would fit under the base frame of the mill. I raised it one side at a time enough to get my heavy duty wheels under it, threaded onto the leveling bolts.

PB140086_zpsvg3rygrn.jpg

PB140087_zpsrk2tjftt.jpg

It's amazing how easy a 2500 lb machine moves with the right wheels under it. I rolled it about 5 feet forward to get access to the PM mill with the engine crane.

PB140088_zpsj0wyu4ka.jpg

I removed the power feed motor and the motor that moves the head up-down and put them into the little wood pallets that came with the machine. I lowered the head as low as I dared and used a tennis ball under the spindle to hold the power feed motor in the box. The 2 little pallets are held down with T-nuts and studs. I also removed the X and Y axis handles.

PB140091_zpseqdgytcr.jpg

I wrapped a 5000lb strap around the head where it fastens to the column and used my engine crane to lift the machine off the base and lowered it onto some cinder blocks where it will rest until the new owner comes to pick it up.

PB140093_zpstzuya4tb.jpg

PB140094_zpshgnwevpo.jpg

PB140095_zps3u1jiuwk.jpg

Then I maneuvered the big mill into the space where the PM machine was. This really gives me a lot more space.

PB140098_zpswnyuo4fi.jpg

PB140099_zpsanj2rfyd.jpg

I used the jack again to remove the wheels and install the leveling feet and get it leveled. There's only about 6" of clearance under my furnace but that won't be a problem unless I have to remove the motor from the mill.

PB140110_zpsjfstnchl.jpg

PB140108_zpsnciifntx.jpg

PB140105_zpskcefyxzc.jpg

The new owner of the PM mill is from Calgary and is going to pick it up Thursday evening. It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to load it and get him on his way.

PB140112_zpszvx015yu.jpg

EricB

Nice, John. I like the way you packed the mill. You must be excited to have space again.

Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk