• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

CA-ON RC Servo gears

Ontario
Type
Supplies

kstrauss

I need some small gears that will attach to the splined shaft of an RC servo. Something like https://www.servocity.com/2305-series-brass-mod-0-8-servo-gear-25-tooth-spline-15-tooth/ would be perfect. Is there a Canadian source or someplace with reasonable shipping charges? Servo City wants almost us$100 to ship two of these gears! Delivery soon is important but I'm not willing to pay that much. 1702147400266.png

Alternatively, has anyone tried broaching their own pieces to fit a 25T servo spline?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It kind of looks like an enhancement part for their product line of servos? I have only seen direct servo replacement gears, as in internal gear train cluster. That kind of looks special purpose replacing the typical external output arm or wheel? The price looks fair IMO but yikes, shipping is a killer. Are you sure you didn't click 2-day delivery which would put you on the $$ courier class, or are they just bending Canucks backwards?

There are ways to get USA goods in but involve an intermediary service. I use DYK for these cases. But you trade cost for time. I bought some Ebay stuff recently but it was probably 3-4 weeks before it was in my hands.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Well it looks like the step files are available, have you tried walking through or phoning the Radio Control hobby stores? I walk through PMS in Calgary and am amazed at the smaller gears and parts available.

IMG_1038.png

kstrauss

Servo City offers the following shipping methods:
  • UPS (UPS® Standard)$33.64
  • FedEx (International Economy)$98.52
  • FedEx (International Priority)$104.31
  • UPS (UPS Worldwide Expedited®)$112.74
  • UPS (UPS Worldwide Saver®)$137.62

It kind of looks like an enhancement part for their product line of servos? I have only seen direct servo replacement gears, as in internal gear train cluster. That kind of looks special purpose replacing the typical external output arm or wheel? The price looks fair IMO but yikes, shipping is a killer. Are you sure you didn't click 2-day delivery which would put you on the $$ courier class, or are they just bending Canucks backwards?

There are ways to get USA goods in but involve an intermediary service. I use DYK for these cases. But you trade cost for time. I bought some Ebay stuff recently but it was probably 3-4 weeks before it was in my hands.
Insofar as I can see they offer the following shipping methods and associated charges:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Servo City offers the following shipping methods:

Brutal. Not even USPS option. If there was a Pound Sand button, I'd click it.
Sometimes USA companies are just naïve & don't understand the cost implications of shipping to Kanuckistan (never mind the likely secondary dinger fees we typically incur with courier orders). Its sometimes worth a friendly email saying: I live in the big white blob just north of you & I would surely buy your $10 item if it didn't cost me $100 extra for the padded envelope, for example here are some shipping options that other USA firms use - links attached. Or, it could be they are aware & basically just don't care because we represent 1% of sales, so bugger off.

I just bought 2 mics off Ebay. The USA one was 25$ shipping (USPS with tracking, Dec-29- Jan-3 delivery). The other was from Japan 0$ shipping (with tracking, Jan-10 delivery).

There have been several posts on this and this is a good example.

UPS Std you pay the brokerage 34+70 = 103

UPS WWE 113 brokerage included, and 1-2 day service.

Likely they don't have preferred rates for international shipping. If they did likely closer to $45.00.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Did you happen to see their list of distributers including Canada?
1702186552632.png

kstrauss

Thanks! Sadly, I missed their distributor list. The good news is that the alternate supplier that I found has some unique ("Patented") shaft collars which I also ordered.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Now I'm curious about the end application. Is the servo or controller somehow modified from its normal, limited +/- degrees angle movement to a constant spin rotation? Otherwise it would be a teeny amount of rotation on the big gear. Robotics maybe?

1702225665804.png

kstrauss

It is probably more than you wanted to know but see https://eclipseplus.ca/ for some project details!

We currently use Dynamixel XC430 servos to control an AgileEye (see attached patent material). A mirror in the central cell (cross shaped piece with black Delrin clips) reflects the solar image into the imaging system as the balloon rotates and sways from side to side. Image00001.jpg

I am exploring the possible benefits of a different pointing mechanism and using RC servos for testing instead of the Dynamixel units. I only need a rotation of about +/-15 degrees for pitch and yaw control so the model servos with a 4:1 gear reduction will be adequate.

Attachments

• US5966991.pdf
    578.7 KB · Views: 5

neer724

these guys are in Mississauga

would something like this work:

alternatively you could get a metal 25t servo horn and machine off the horn and drill out a a gear and press fit it in there.

Horn:

Pinion Gear:

they have many size pinion gears available.

Check you local hobby shop....

Hope this helps....

If the first company doesn't ship i'd be happy to pick it up and ship it to you....

kstrauss

Thanks for the suggestions but unfortunately Mississauga is a two-hour drive each way from here so I almost always have stuff shipped. Even outrageous delivery charges are cheaper than buying gas!

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I had a look at the website, very cool project with a lot of brain power involved,

Will you be able to live stream?

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Cool Project, thanks for sharing that with us. I'll be keeping any eye on it.

I always enjoy seeing the projects we're all working on. Common interest (machining/metalworking), but wildly different applications of it.