• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Rapid Original holders

Ian Moss

Inspired by the recent posts about multifix, I would like to find more holders for my Rapid Original toolpost. Similar ones are made under different names, but seem to follow the same dimensions. I am looking for size A. The various names I have come across are (Indexa,Dixon,Dickson,Boni Suisse,Feldbach,rapid,bison,Mecanizados and algra)

Ian Moss

Thanks Craig. I should have thought of that myself. I am new at posting to this group. Here are two pics of my Rapid Original toolholder type A IMG_1658.JPG IMG_1658.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1659.JPG
    IMG_1659.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 3

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Since I've never heard of this one. How about an image of the tool post as well please.

Chipper5783

I had a Rapid Original "A" on my little lathe (no tool holders). There are several brands (see above) that are similar - but they are not as interchangeable as the Aloris style. I could not get confirmation of fit, and true RO holders are expensive. That is what lead me to the multifix style (the whole set was cheaper than 3 RO holders)

Chipper5783

The RO was a good looking tool post. One nice feature is that the RO does not add much height, so it will accept 3/4" tools (for a small lathe - 11" swing). When I switched to the "E" multifix I had to skim the bottom of the multifix holders to get the 3/4" tool tip down to center height (made in China holders, but nicely made and very tough material - how to skim the holder and chamfer the spline took some thinking).

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Wow, for $300 its going to be a very long time there, I thought it will be a holder and at least whole set of tool holders.

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
VDF is a partnership of three or four lathe manufacturers in Germany. Mine was built by Boehringer Goppingen of that partnership.
It is a 19" swing tool room quality lathe with hardened ways, 24 spindle speeds (11-2240), metric, imperial, modulus and diametral threading capabilities. Mine has a six station turret instead of a standard tail stock. It has a separate transmission in the turret which provides about 16 feed rates. The turret moves about 16 inches in auto feed. The attached picture shows it loaded with chips and stuff stacked on and under it. It is a little cleaner now.

Attachments

• VDF.JPG
    VDF.JPG
    654.8 KB · Views: 24

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
riginal "A" on my little lathe (no tool holders). There are several brands (see above) that are similar - but th

The Typo A size from the Italian copy do fit the Dickson tool posts (of the right size of course)

I can see someone moving to the multifix holder as they have the advantage of indexing, the Dickson holders do not. Its actually not at all a bad price for Dickson, I watched for awhile before buying privately and $200-400 US seemed the norm for ebay selling prices. If you need/want one, 300 Cdn going to be hard to beat

Where the Dickson shines over the multifix is the ease of making the tool holders.....I like lots of tool holders and don't like paying much. some photos of making holders

Edit, didn't mean overwhelm with so many pics...I thought would get links not images

Last edited:

Chipper5783

I'm impressed. Mill looks like a Victoria (Elliot) for which one can get a vertical head (no quill, but very robust).

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I'm impressed. Mill looks like a Victoria (Elliot) for which one can get a vertical head (no quill, but very robust).

Good eye! and thanks. I've got the vertical head and gear but have never mounted it. I have an XLO for vertical work, and its bloody heavy. The vertical gets used 80% of the time, but the horizontal removes 80% of the metal. The vertical head would be a beast with a fly cutter. I have used a 4" flycutter horizontally to face some large blocks, it just peels material off.

How does one make a T slot on a horizontal mill?

I did it in the vertical mill as its easier , or at least more visible, and didn't require the horizontal's umph. To do it in the horizontal, just rotate everything 90 degrees. Workpiece clamped to the table on its side and the cutter held in a collet or tool holder in the spindle

Last edited: