Quick change tool post.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Both do the same function - piston has some bad rap but it seems it is mostly unfounded unless manufacturer really dropped the ball. Which size do you need, AXA or BXA?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Lots of choices for AXA - I have small AXA size TP for sale but it is Hardinge brand with just one holder - you would need to buy more holders or make them, on the plus side you have US made holder.

I probably would go with a wedge in AXA from China as price difference is small and quality piston may not exist. For a brand name like actual Aloris either one would be OK.

Tom Fitzpatrick

Lots of choices for AXA - I have small AXA size TP for sale but it is Hardinge brand with just one holder - you would need to buy more holders or make them, on the plus side you have US made holder.

I probably would go with a wedge in AXA from China as price difference is small and quality piston may not exist. For a brand name like actual Aloris either one would be OK.
Thank you for this.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Dumb question because I've only been a piston guy for long time. I assume the toolholder dovetails are standardized to fit either/or for a particular size?

Tom Fitzpatrick

Dumb question because I've only been a piston guy for long time. I assume the toolholder dovetails are standardized to fit either/or for a particular size?
Well, most of the answers to me have been in favour of wedge type & AxA size. Thanks for the reply.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
The AXA is too small for my 13” lathe but is perfect on a 9”. While it might work on your 12”, it likely means that the holder will be fairly high up on the toolpost. Depending on the height of your compound BXA might be a better choice.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Tom, what I mean is the dovetail dimensions between the tool holders themselves. I don't see wedge or piston holders. Pretty sure they are interchangeable as long as its within the toolpost family like A,B,C or 100,200,300 etc.

Attachments

• SNAG-5-1-2020 0000.jpg
    SNAG-5-1-2020 0000.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 0

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
This size is more or less interchangeable - i.e. all 100 series should fit all tool posts regardless of manufacturer and type of mounting as long as all are Aloris type.

More or less as Chinese seem to make things a bit bigger then say US made original and have touch looser tolerances (not so good for piston). This means I have Aloris holders that will not fit on Chinese made tool post... of the same size.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
the AXA is perfect for my 12 X 37 lathe. the tools line up beautifully, and using an XL holder it is low enough to accommodate larger tools, yet is high enough for my 3/8" shank form tools (the braze on carbide ones from Shars and grizzly)....

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Sizing should be more done with checking the height of the compound as related to lathe center lane. The actual swing size is just a rough estimate - i.e. lathe A with swing of 12" does not have the same height difference as lathe B also with 12" swing. The swing is just a rule of thumb so no one tries to use say CXA on a 10" lathe.

Personally I do prefer larger tool holders as one can put bigger tools in them - but AXA is not as wimpy as it appears nor are small tool holders very weak - you can take more then 100 thou per side of a 3" shaft with say 3.5 feed and tool will not deflect a lot nor will the AXA holding screw stretch.

Tool size is the main issue when on the "fence".