Question of the day, metal slivers.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Can't even get Mercurochrome any more, which was a step up from the pain inflicted when mom applied the Iodine.

Mercurochrome? Chromium suspended in mercury? The sh^$ we used to think was a good idea. ... mercury in fillings, lead in gasoline, mercury in vaccines...

On October 19, 1998, citing potential for mercury poisoning, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reclassified merbromin from "generally recognized as safe" to "untested," effectively halting its distribution within the United States.[1] Sales were subsequently halted in Brazil (2001), Germany (2003),[2] and France (2006).[3] It is readily available in most other countries. wikipedia

anyway the tweezers are a good idea.

Here is something similar...

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/PREMIUM-GEM...357764?hash=item3b24603ec4:g:LAcAAOSw0YlcCBg~

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
slivers are just part of the job, or the hobby. My day job as a machinist now requires us to wear latex gloves during the Corona virus pandemic. I haven't had a sliver in my hand since I started wearing gloves. Both my wife and I had metal slivers in our feet today. Do latex socks exist? I'm just kidding about the socks.
Hummm........ For some reason I've been thinking about this post all day.

Do you know why you haven't had any slivers since you started doing this Alex? Is it possible you have changed your behaviour at work, or are more conscious of processes with gloves on? The reason I ask is that lots of medical studies have shown that gloves do nothing to prevent sharp sticks. The reason why they are used in medical and first responder roles is that—if you are stuck—the latex reduces the chance of contamination. In effect it wipes or "squeegees" the contaminate (blood, drug, etc.), off the sharp (needle, scalpel, etc.), before it pierces your skin. It doesn't do this fully (some studies say 66% better for single and 80% better for double gloves). But as most needles and other sharps can easily pierce latex, they shouldn't (in theory) offer any protection from slivers.

I wonder if you are more conscious, careful, and perhaps aware of what's on your hands when you have gloves on, and that's what you've discovered. Good on you BTW, you may be on to something here.

P.S. I didn't look into the latex sock angle. I'm afraid what the search results may return if I type in that phrase :p

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
@CalgaryPT I don't think that study applies well to this scenario. The metal slivers I get are usually tiny metal swarf. That study applies more to hypodermic needles and razor blades. I do wipe my 4 mill gloves off more with a rag than I would my bare hands. The bigger chips aren't an issue for me because all the machines I run won't turn on until the doors are closed.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Not an authority on this but I think latex like silicone may reject attraction and if not the glove is smooth and the fibre glove is a Net and skin well...

Last edited: