• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

QCTP

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I'm considering upgrading an older lathe with a Quick Change Tool Post (QCTP) preferably a BXA as to the piston style only because I am use to a (BXA Phase 11).

Much will depend on price, shipping costs, and locating a set on sale along with additional holders.

You can read more on my intro post as a new member sent last evening.

Have looked at CDCO and Shars websites south of the border. Clearly there must be other Canadian outlets short of Busy Bee.

Sincerely welcome all suggestions and comments on a QCTP more specifically best place to buy.

Thanks for reading. Bill

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Have you checked Aliexpress or Banggood? Might be able to find what you need if you are not in a rush to get it yesterday. Travers Tool, MSC, and KBC Tools sell packages. They would probably be faster getting it to you. There’s also Dale’s Machine Tools in Medicine Hat - he sells items on Kijiji.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Shars will ship USPS to Canada (as opposed to UPS the $-gouging couriers) but inquire first about the weight. It wouldn't surprise me to see 40-60$ on top. It seems like most of tehse sets are generically similar but definitely there are some quality differences between the supplier & phase of the Asian moon :)

KBC (Vancouver) has a flat fee shipping, I think its $10 or something. Travers (eastern Canada) is similar, maybe 12$. I think some other have purchased from Accusize (basically similar Chinese variants if not the same). The price was reasonable but they have taken to Ebay store mode & Canada Ground shipping seemed a bit higher http://www.accusizetools.ca/

I guess I'm suggesting for this particular tooling, figure out the 'all-in' costs. A 2$ part + 50$ shipping = a 52$ part with free shipping syndrome. I've had good luck with AliExpress but wait times can be long. And also check ebay because often its identical, possibly with a USA based middle man, but sometimes same thing faster delivery.

http://www.phase2plus.com/details.asp?pr=QUICK_CHANGE_TOOL_SETS&id=52
This isn't the link I was after but also confirm your sizing by actual machine dimensions. This issue has burned a few people on certain lathe models because they typically relate A,B,C models to nominal swing. Unfortunately there are machines out there that have a relatively short height from top of compound to spindle center for the same size swing, which means you might be better off dropping down to the next smaller size. Otherwise you are perpetually fighting proper tool height & returning said items is a $$ PITA. Hope this makes sense.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Hello PeterT
If you read my intro you will learn I presently use a Phase 11 QCTP AXA sitting on my garage shop lathe a Busy Bee Craftex B2227L 10x18. Hate the tool holder that came with the B2227L lathe. Experience and measurements prompts me to install a BXA style on my Kerry lathe. Simply trying to replace an older American style standard tool post with worn out top screw threads, tool holders and rocker base missing.

Bill

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
..Experience and measurements prompts me to install a BXA style on my Kerry lathe. Simply trying to replace an older American style standard tool post with worn out top screw threads, tool holders and rocker base missing.
Bill

Gotcha. Because I wasn't familiar with a Kerry lathe & you said "style" I was just pointing out the different corresponding dimensions to A,B,C. This has tripped up some folks who select on the basis of lathe swing alone - as opposed to measuring from compound top (red line) to spindle center. Sound like you have this covered. That's a cool looking lathe.

Attachments

• 2018-02-22_18-30-32.jpg
    2018-02-22_18-30-32.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 10
  • SNAG-2-22-2018 0000.jpg
    SNAG-2-22-2018 0000.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 9

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I believe Dales stuff (in Medicine Hat) is also from Accusize but he stocks some stuff and you get to talk to a person. It appears to me CDCO Tool Co also has the same line of tools but possibly 2nd rate stuff maybe, I had some poor quality tool holders from him and could not get a reply back after purchase. I'd stay away from Cdco tool.

Don

Everett

Super User
Definitely get the "wedge-type" QCTP as opposed to the "piston-type." My King came with a piston style and while it's ok for basic turning I've had serious grief with parting and grooving as it is not rigid enough. Actually wound up making a turret tool post just for parting and grooving because I'm loth to dip into the son's diaper fund for another tool post at this time. And yes, you can get deals that include a few more holders.

As for service, over time I've ordered stuff from KBC, Accusize and various Oriental eBay vendors and had good experiences with them all. The fellow I spoke with at KBC was very friendly and professional.

Hope this helps.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Interesting. I have a piston style & have not had any rigidity or loosening problems so far. Also Chinese version but earlier version via KBC.
Are the tool holders common/interchangeable between piston & dovetail or does one have to live with the decision?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
See Amazon.ca and eBay.ca

Sometimes you can get used set say Aloris for not much more.

If I remember I paid over 200 for new BXA set made in China (Boxter) wedge.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
This web page offers a good idea of a Kerry 11-24 lathe made in England and yes I ordered the manual if you can call it that because really it leaves a lot to be desired. Not planning on refurbishing the paint job although I'm in the process of cleaning it up and checking it out.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/kerry/page2.html

Although my Kerry lathe wasn't used for production work it really needs much TLC. Basically the lathe sat idle for a number of years tucked away in a corner of a heated building, uncovered I might add. Over the years fresh oil was poured on the ways saddle, apron, cross and compound feeds etc. Simply add on much dust. The former owner passed away years back and his son wasn't interested in running same so there it sat.

Bill

Last edited:

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I believe Dales stuff (in Medicine Hat) is also from Accusize but he stocks some stuff and you get to talk to a person. It appears to me CDCO Tool Co also has the same line of tools but possibly 2nd rate stuff maybe, I had some poor quality tool holders from him and could not get a reply back after purchase. I'd stay away from Cdco tool.

Took your suggestion ordered an BXA wedge style QCTP set from Dale's (Medicine Hat) this morning along with four additional tool holders and cut off blade. That will at least get us started. Should arrive this coming week baring no hiccups with Canada's pony express (Canada Post).

Kerry lathe is far from being cleaned up and inspected however I'm are getting there slow but sure. No rust to speak of, no visible operation damage, with no abuse. Paint job is not the greatest although for the lathe being about 45 years young and not used in production work I'm
convinced it will serve us well.

Stay tuned.

Bill

Last edited: