• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Process of transforming wire cutting machine tools(2023.03.18)

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
Process of transforming wire cutting machine tools

In August 2022, I bought a second-hand wire-cutting machine tool, which has been out of the factory for a long time and is very dirty and old. The operating system X8 has been replaced (paid to be replaced), but many components have been aging due to the age, so there are frequent failures. I haven't operated it for about 3 months, but I'm going to fix it because I have some parts to use it.

This is the current state. I'll record the process as I go along.

2023_03_14_20_42_IMG_7583.JPG

There are just a few idle PLC in hand (Mitsubishi FX series), after the increase of PLC can simplify its control circuit, and convenient to improve logic later!
IMG_7659.JPG

I wrote a piece of basic logic that needs to be refined under these simple frameworks(2022.12)
线切01.jpg

a smile

Premium Member
Although the oil was cleaned up before, it was still dirty.
2023_05_30_16_01_IMG_8949.JPG

This time it was finally pulled out of the dark space and put into the open field, where it could be repaired freely.
2023_05_30_16_01_IMG_8951.JPG

First clean the heavy yellow robe (use oil remover to dissolve it, it's really dirty),
2023_05_30_16_05_IMG_8956.JPG
2023_05_30_16_23_IMG_8959.JPG
It is then rinsed with a high-pressure water gun and then redissolved with a wire brush,
2023_05_30_16_54_IMG_8961.JPG
Reflush, including the interior of the cab
2023_05_30_17_48_IMG_8965.JPG

It is 2023.05.30 today. It took nearly an afternoon to move and clean up, and then it needs to be placed and dried for a long time

a smile

Premium Member
Clean the HF cabinets together
2023_05_31_08_39_IMG_8977.JPG
2023_05_31_09_35_IMG_8982.JPG 2023_05_31_10_11_IMG_8990.JPG 2023_05_31_10_15_IMG_8998.JPG

High pressure washing will fill small Spaces with water and will not dry out for a long time ---- only time to evaporate the water

a smile

Premium Member
After a long time drying, the circuit should be safe!

There is just time to start promoting wire cutting refit -------

First of all, the support of the display installed later is removed,
2023_06_12_07_22_IMG_9563.JPG

and then the desktop circuit board is removed and installed on the internal side wall of the electrical cabinet.
2023_06_12_07_31_IMG_9566.JPG 2023_06_12_08_46_IMG_9572.JPG

Clean your desk to keep it clean and tidy
2023_06_12_09_35_IMG_9580.JPG 2023_06_12_09_38_IMG_9581.JPG

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
What does the wire cutter machine do exactly? Cut wire. Well there must be a lot more to explain. That is a complicated machine with a lot of cabinets. And what are you going to do with it when it is working? Great pictures Sun.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Sharp eyed Mr. John Nielson @johnnielsen noticed one of pictures said WEDM - ie Wire EDM. Or wire electrical discharge machine which is what that type of machine is commonly called in North America.Repairing the one you bought a smile looks like a big big project. We have a member making an EDM from scratch. I don't know of anyone else who has one of those in the forum.

for more info see:

a smile

Premium Member
What does the wire cutter machine do exactly? Cut wire. Well there must be a lot more to explain. That is a complicated machine with a lot of cabinets. And what are you going to do with it when it is working? Great pictures Sun.
It is an EDM cutting machine, about the translation software problem ------- does not need to cut the wire.

I'm not sure I can fix it, but I'm trying. Electronic circuits are not my good, I can only try not to destroy its main circuit.

a smile

Premium Member
Get rid of the useless wires and organize the wires to make it tidy
2023_06_25_16_58_IMG_0231.JPG
This is a very old monitor, very heavy, there seems to be no need to replace it, which will save some money.
2023_06_25_17_00_IMG_0235.JPG
Check the high frequency cabinet carefully
2023_06_25_17_01_IMG_0238.JPG

I checked and recorded the line number and direction of the wire, and I roughly understood its working structure, which will help me quickly determine the cause of the failure in future use, and can express it for maintenance. Of course, it's also a great learning opportunity, and I've benefited from staying patient and learning more about electronics.

There is a small question, is the high frequency voltmeter detecting the positive and negative voltage of the molybdenum wire? (I found the voltmeter wire and I disbanded it. I need to know how it works.) Anyone know please help me! thank you

Last edited:

a smile

Premium Member
The circuit continues to advance

Add some terminals, add a rectifier bridge (saves a switching power supply)
2023_07_03_11_57_IMG_0379.JPG

a smile

Premium Member
The weather has been very hot recently, so the progress has been slow, I think I have been lazy, but there is some progress with the accumulation of time.

Remove some other useless wires, and then re-check the transformer output, actually find a hidden dangerous wire, and then eliminate the danger (fortunately), PLC control circuit completed 90% QQ图片20230710232053.jpg
Then the PLC program was rewritten and the wires were arranged. I guess it helped me relearn some things.

a smile

Premium Member
I met a problem today. I used the transformer AC24V of the original machine tool and then used it for my control circuit after rectifying, but the voltage after rectifying was DC50v. Then I changed the connection to AC16V, and the voltage after rectifying was DC40V, which was still much higher than the standard DC24V. But I can't think why there is such a high increase, it makes me confused ----
IMG_0480.JPG 2023_07_03_10_45_IMG_0377.JPG 2023_07_03_10_41_IMG_0375.JPG 2023_07_03_10_41_IMG_0376.JPG
It has always been my idea to use the original machine as much as possible, so I will add a DC24V switching power supply unless I have to

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Wow, that is an old monitor. LCD monitors in Canada, used, are super cheap, sometimes free. You can easily get old 19" LCD for 10 CAD or around 50 Yuan or price of cookie and coffee in Shanghai.

That is a LOT of wires. I would not be able to deal with so many.

a smile

Premium Member
Wow, that is an old monitor. LCD monitors in Canada, used, are super cheap, sometimes free. You can easily get old 19" LCD for 10 CAD or around 50 Yuan or price of cookie and coffee in Shanghai.

That is a LOT of wires. I would not be able to deal with so many.
This is an old device, and I don't want to put in more hardware until it's fully functional, so I don't see the need to replace the monitor for the time being.

About the wire, I want to tell you: it's actually not that complicated, as long as you have enough patience, you can always find the right architecture, and you must make a good record. I am very happy to tell you that electronics is a huge problem for me, but my interest has led me to learn some basic knowledge gradually, and now I can do some circuit transformation unrelated to chip.

12 years ago I had no idea how a contactor could complete a self-locking connection.

a smile

Premium Member
Recently, I have been busy, these days I can finally have time to complete the transformation and start the test machine. The cutting of 30mm thickness is completely normal, but it is easy to break the wire when cutting 160mm thickness. I am looking for the reason, and experienced friends can give me advice.

I think inexperience should be the main reason, I hope to use it more in the future to increase experience points!
IMG_0480.JPG 2023_07_14_17_58_IMG_0502.JPG 2023_07_12_15_19_IMG_0489.JPG 2023_07_14_23_44_IMG_0505.JPG