Princess auto bronze bearings

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
It's not. Sometimes they mark as "bronze or oilite bushings" sintered iron bushings, which will stick to a magnet.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I've used those exact bushings. Pretty sure they are sintered iron which can look like bronze. i may be wrong Tom, but it seems people and companies call anything the colour bronze, "bronze bushings/bearings" these days. Kind of like people call all tissues "Kleenex." In the pic below are true bronze bushings (cannot be picked by a magnet) on the left. On the right are sintered iron and oilite bushings. Sintered iron can be picked by a magnet, but all LOOK bronze in color. The PA ones do say "bronze" but if they can be picked by a magnet they aren't.

1623384113076.png

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Not princess auto. Here is a bushing I made today. Anyone could buy them cheap but the customer needed good ones with a mill certificate so I had to machine them myself.

Attachments

• IMG_20210610_102934_758.jpg
    IMG_20210610_102934_758.jpg
    584.8 KB · Views: 4

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Not princess auto. Here is a bushing I made today. Anyone could buy them cheap but the customer needed good ones with a mill certificate so I had to machine them myself.
Alex, what's a mill certificate? I'm assuming it is a signed doc stating the part was made by an operator with a certain (verifiable) degree of skill and within spec?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
1623431629004.png

Several places that sell metals will provide sheets, some upon request, some always, some may charge a bit. I checked the box once & got a half inch stack of papers. Usually if its to some standard like ASTM or whatever its just the same composition information, but sometimes it states the mill/supplier it came from.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think the only way the 'bronze' could hold a magnet like that is that it contains some appreciable amount of iron. It may not necessarily be deceptive, could be a dedicated running material. But maybe a bit counter intuitive. Bearing bronzes come in a multitude of flavors but predominantly copper & tin (non-magnetic) then other constituents. I've heard of manganese bronze but didn't think iron was a common ingredient. I cant seeing that being very good for running shaft fits though if its going to hang onto particles. Usually you want the magnet a distance away like the bottom of an oil sump haha

https://www.advancebronze.com/alloy-charts.php

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
It is much simpler than that. The mill certificate is a document that stays with the parts through ever step of the manufacturing process. It contains information such as; material type, tensile strength, country of origin, and what standard it was tested by.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
You need a certificate for applications where a mystery metal is not acceptable. Such as when a human life my be put in danger.

Regular metal quick links cost like $2. Climbing ones ... made in France and stamped with strength in each axis + Petzel brand name cost at least 4x as much.

In real life most cheap people rappelled off a thicker chain link - not stamped for climbing but I never heard of anyone ever dying. Now webbing failures on the other hand are quite common. That through is always beaten by simple human mistakes.

Most hobby welding is just gluing some metal together with some rod. BUT there are applications where rod type needs to be known, rod that needs baking needs to be baked to get rid of water and that 70k psi needs to be maintained. Coupons may be taken to ensure welding is done properly. Filets need to be done and passes done as per book. This is why it takes so long to weld a pipeline - the spots where pipes are welded are no weaker then any other spot.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
It could be manganese bronze.

It could be aluminum bronze - supposedly has some iron in it.

Maybe its just lump of steel that has paint applied?

Best method is to get one of these guns at scrap yard and try to figure it out.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
It is much simpler than that. The mill certificate is a document that stays with the parts through ever step of the manufacturing process. It contains information such as; material type, tensile strength, country of origin, and what standard it was tested by.
Yep, I get those a lot running steel or aluminum. Basically just someone guaranteeing that what they think they are buying, is what they’re actually getting. Never really read one that close but I get the gist of it