• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Precision Master Square MACHINIST TOOL, $700, London, ON

The fact that he doesn't know it is a cylinder square makes me suspect that he is a flipper. No respect. He looked up the 1800USD price on the Suburban website (3") and thinks he can get 700. FYI the 5" is 5700 USD (!!)

1) this is a pre -Suburban Taft, so at least 40 years old. Stored well, but has seen a lot of use. Won't be any where near in calibration any more due to scratches and dings. Still just fine for hobby work and even professional use, but not the 2 tenths per foot in spec.

Some sucker will buy it for 500$ because of the name, but it is worth less than that. Perhaps 300$ - they don't come up that often.

OR you can buy an offshore one for about 80$. Mine is very accurate.

Last edited:
Can get a Fowler (decent quality, U.S. made – for what it's worth), 0.0001"/6" $US308 from Amazon:

Or an HHIP Import, same specs, for US$171:

Where did you get that, that it's made in the US? AFAIK Fowler makes nothing and rebrands offshore stuff ..... good odds it came out the same factory as the HHIP one lol.

Where did you get that, that it's made in the US? AFAIK Fowler makes nothing and rebrands offshore stuff ..... good odds it came out the same factory as the HHIP one lol.
I stand corrected (thanks, 2nd time this year ;) ) I mis-read the blurb: "Fowler, an American company, manufactures premium inspection and measurement instruments . . ." Interestingly, you can get the 3" x 12" Fowler on Amazon for $315.

Even more interesting is that neither Amazon, eBay, Peen Tools or ALL Industrial say where it is manufactured. Both eBay & Amazon used to say this in their detailed descriptions, but now all Amazon lists is "Manufacturer ‏ : ‎ Fred V. Fowler Company, Inc." In theory, this means that Fowler would need to have some ownership of the facility where it is made. I'll pose the question and report back.

I found a range of prices while looking for the country of origin, and the winner appears to be All Industrial at US$226.38 with free shipping. Most other sites wanted my info before giving me a cost, and one (Deterco) said they would contact with payment & shipping after I placed the order. However, this was the most amusing response I got when trying to find out about shipping by clicking on the "Shipping & Returns" link:
Measurement Solutions.png
At least the Fowler & HHIP photos are different: usually if an item is identical the photos and description are the same, even across eBay & Amazon, which is how I comparison shop between the two platforms.

Wow have they gone up!! I had delayed getting a cylinder square 'til I really needed it', but had it in my cart for 80 bucks and change, perhaps at the beginning of Covid. But a great deal came up on kijiji, an offshore one, never used, still with that weird brown paper and thin grease (like Petroleum jelly). I scooped it up, of course.

Finally got a reply from Fowler's Director of Product Management: "These are manufactured in China. We've sold hundreds of these. Very good quality." The only plus that Fowler might have over HHIP is that they provide a wooden box and handles so yo can move the cylinder around with touching it (I'll check with HHIP and ask what their's comes with). However, at the current prices and based on my less than minimal need, I'm not making a purchase yet.

I also asked Fowler why I had to provide full contact info when asking a product detail question (and said I understood needing address, etc. if it was a question about shipping), and got this response:

"This is just the way our web site is set up. I'm sorry but I am not in control of this. We are in the middle of a big reconstruction right now. Perhaps it will require less information in the future. I will make mention of your comment."

What, did you drop it too many times?:p Oh, you mean one of those flat L-shapped things: I've got them, all the way from 1" Beam to 6" Beam, which covers anything I'm likely to make.

If I added up my combination squares I'll bet there's 50 or so . I do use the 20" Starrett sometimes but it's not needed . :rolleyes:

If I added up my combination squares I'll bet there's 50 or so . I do use the 20" Starrett sometimes but it's not needed . :rolleyes:
Can't match that, only have 7, including 2 HF (but I do have 9 Kennedy's [if you count boxes, drawers, chests & carts as individual items]). I checked and I have 14 machinist's squares, plus the framing square, around a dozen carpenter squares and a couple of small Xacto model squares (sheet metal, but nicely Made in Japan since they are almost as old as I am).

OK, Mods, done "comparing."

Ahh, but a #20 is a Master Precision Square. The one for sale is a Precision Master.

For really big stuff, there's my 36" B&S. Truth be told, it never gets used, purchased for its intrigue (and an offer I couldn't refuse)

View attachment 51856
I barely have a place to hang my 24" x 18" framing square: I don't know where I'd put a 36" blade machinist's square! But I understand the rational behind the purchase; that's why I have five, 0–1/2" (OK, one is 0–13mm) micrometers and three, Last Word indicators (plus two for spare parts).

Asked HHIP; submitted contact form at 9:07am and had a reply before Noon; it took Fowler more than a day (they needed an email for the reply, and asked for a phone but didn't require it and didn't ask for an address):

HHIP.com
NameCharles Cxxxxxxxxx
Emailcxxxxxxxx@xxxxxx
Phone
Does the "3" DIAMETER X 6" HIGH CYLINDRICAL SQUARE (4901-2601)" include a storage box and handles? Thank you!

Thank you for your inquiry.

The item comes in a storage box. I have attached pictures showing everything it includes.

Best Regards

HHIP 3x6 Cylinder Square Box.jpg
HHIP 3x6 Cylinder Square in Box.jpg
Not as nice a box as the Fowler, but it's not US$ 300+ either, and it does come with a handle (same handle as comes with the Fowler). Price on Amazon went up to US$183: too many folks looking at it I guess. If I decide to get one, I'll check ALL Industrial and if there's a sale that would bring it down to a ~US$20 difference, I might be tempted to pay that little extra for the wooden box (but I'd also check that they hadn't changed to plastic).

I think I’d rather have the wooden box as it would pick up some of the moisture rather than condensing on the plastic any thoughts? I don’t think this has ever been brought up before. Wood should last longer hinge wise.

Back