• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Precision Ground Stones

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Give me a while to get my surface grinder back up and I'll make some :)
(half joking, whole heartedly!)

trlvn

Ultra Member
The idea of precision ground stones has always seemed a bit weird to me. AIUI, the idea is to use them to remove any dings from a flat surface. But suppose your table has a typical ding that has created a small crater and raised a bit of metal. As soon as the stone encounters that raised bit, the leading edge is going to rise up and thus only 2 or 3 points of the stone will now in contact with the surface. I realize that the raised bit is one of those points of contact and that the idea is to abrade it back down level with the rest of the 'flat' surface. But the other point or points of contact is likely at the far end of the stone and aren't we now trying to dish out that area?

Plus, most of us have machines with a bit of wear in them. Maybe also a slight bow, twist or warp. Stoning is not going to fix those issues and again the stones may not be in full contact in various spots on the 'flat' surface. Even more, metal is actually pretty flexible. The local pressure of stoning could actually be deflecting the surface a few tenths (or more?). Especially, say, out on the unsupported ends of a milling machine table.

All I'm trying to say is that I don't see how much more precision one actually gets from ground stones v. unground stones (that have been rubbed together to try to keep them flat-ish). Am I being mulish?

Craig

John Conroy

Premium Member
There is an very good short video on the use and need for precision gound stones by ROBRENZ on YouTube

Brent H

Ultra Member
Not sure I need anything to within one millionth of an inch - concept seems to have merit but the guy in the video was stoning his square edge and it was wobbling - seems like that would always be the Achilles heel in regular shop use. Maybe if I start making air bearings and such - interesting concept though.

John Conroy

Premium Member
I agree. The weakness is always going to be the operator. In my case, no need for precision stones. lol

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Yes, years ago, on another planet, in another lifetime, I bought a Japanese water stone sharpening set. It came with (amongst other things) a fairly thick (1/4") sheet of plate glass and a "pill bottle" full of "abrasive compound" for lapping the stones. Could probably do the same with natural stones and a lapping compound.

Everett

Super User
It's a bit cheaper than $380, but Steve Lang (Shark River Machine on YouTube) sells his for $180 USD ($230 CDN). I got a set from him a while ago. Still not super cheap but it also helps a home cottage industry guy.

I understand that it is still not a "Canadian" source but it is another option. And Steve is a very cool guy, lol.

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
At one point I was going to make some sets, but I had to tear down my SG, and then Bert's shop happened! (boy am I behind in things!!)

Last edited: