• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Power Hammer Spring Size

keane

Hi Folks,

I hope you are all doing well. As per my last post about asking for an affordable pressing implement, I've decided to build a power hammer; specifically a tire power hammer. There are many tutorials on youtube and I'm making one that has a hammering system pretty similar to Clay Spencer's original design, but on a 4 steel post build since one of my buddies got a lot of scrap 11 guage square bar for cheap. I bought an old car suspension spring for pretty cheap off of a local, but I fear that it is too strong for the actual build. For my specs, I have a 2HP motor, and I plan on using a 55lb hammer. The spring is ~13inches wide and deforms about 1 inch when 135lbs is placed on it (used my lifting 45lb plates to test). Do you guys think it'll work or is it too strong, my options are increasing my hammer weight which might end up too heavy for the motor or to just buy a smaller spring and use this one for some scrap in the future. Thanks for any and all comments have a good day to all of you.

Crosche

Super User
Hi Folks,

I hope you are all doing well. As per my last post about asking for an affordable pressing implement, I've decided to build a power hammer; specifically a tire power hammer. There are many tutorials on youtube and I'm making one that has a hammering system pretty similar to Clay Spencer's original design, but on a 4 steel post build since one of my buddies got a lot of scrap 11 guage square bar for cheap. I bought an old car suspension spring for pretty cheap off of a local, but I fear that it is too strong for the actual build. For my specs, I have a 2HP motor, and I plan on using a 55lb hammer. The spring is ~13inches wide and deforms about 1 inch when 135lbs is placed on it (used my lifting 45lb plates to test). Do you guys think it'll work or is it too strong, my options are increasing my hammer weight which might end up too heavy for the motor or to just buy a smaller spring and use this one for some scrap in the future. Thanks for any and all comments have a good day to all of you.

I have a spring from a Little Giant hammer that might work for you. It looks similar to the spring in the video.