Power feed for king kc 20vs

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Seems like a sensible approach if you don't mind the music that comes with it.
If you replaced the stepper with a small servo driven with just the step and direction signals it would be near silent.

gerritv

Gerrit
If he used different settings on the driver the singing would mostly disappear. I get none of that on my lathe ELS. Low pulses per rev will always make more noise.

Thanks Guys
I have most of what I need under my bench from previous projects with the exception of the little control panel. I'll give a try. The ones from Grizzly are a little rich in Can $.
Regards
Tim

neer724

I picked up the gear head motor from Princess Auto for $9.99. The 12v speed control from Amazon for $24 and a 12v 5A power supply for $18. The metal was just what I had sitting in the bin (mainly from the cut-offs from Metal Supermarket). All in around $70.

Mind you its not the fastest power feed, but it does save your arm from winding the table back and forth. But better than that it leaves an amazingly smooth finish when fly cutting...

Just need to finish it now. Make an enclosure and a knob or lever switch to engage and disengage the power feed.

neer724

I did something similar to raise/lower the head on my old round column mill, motor was $10 PrincessAuto surplus windshield motor. worked perfectly.

Action video.....

Nice Job!!! That's my next project - I wasn't sure of that motor would be strong enough to lift the head - but you just confirmed it - Thanks!!!

Cranking that head up and down is killer on the shoulder - I recently tore my rotor cuff and it gives me a workout - must be getting old. LOL