Tool Post vise cleanup and stand build

Tool

Tmate

I recently picked up my first post vise on eBay, and cleaned it up before fabricating a stand for it. After disassembling and wire brushing it, I applied a thin coat of boiled linseed oil. I left it sit outside in the sun for most of a day to speed up drying.

The rear spindle box collar was missing. This was probably because the heavy spring made it hard to close it enough to engage the spindle box threads. Someone in the distant past chose to just get rid of the collar, which made it easier. I fabricated a replacement collar out of a 2" ID one piece shaft collar. With some effort, I managed to get it all back together.

I've had this 150 lb. press plate sitting around for close to 30 years, and decided to use it as a base for the vise stand. I used a 5" x 8" I beam for a column, and 3/8" plates at the top and bottom. The finished stand weighs upwards of 200 lbs., and the vise about 85.

Attachments

• post vise.jpg
    post vise.jpg
    886 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5055.JPG
    IMG_5055.JPG
    661.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5059.JPG
    IMG_5059.JPG
    346.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 13
  • evening light 3_75mb.jpg
    evening light 3_75mb.jpg
    595.9 KB · Views: 15

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good on you for rescuing the old leg vise. I gave a worn out one to a young fellow that is into blacksmithing,

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Looks great. I have an old post vise in the barn that needs to be mounted. I'm inching my way towards getting to it as I'm building up my blacksmith shop. I'm going to make mine into a tri legged stand with striking anvil.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have a big one too. The threads on mine are seized. Every time I look at it, the threads get more seized, and I get less motivated to try and fix it. Maybe if I had a need.

I'd sell it or scrap it, but it belonged to my bride's dad and I don't have much of his stuff so it stays for now.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I have a big one too. The threads on mine are seized. Every time I look at it, the threads get more seized, and I get less motivated to try and fix it. Maybe if I had a need.

I'd sell it or scrap it, but it belonged to my bride's dad and I don't have much of his stuff so it stays for now.
1:1 ATF/acetone. mix up a bottle, and everytime you walk by it, give it a squirt. I have yet to have that mix let me down at unsticking seized threads/joints. It might take a while, it might even take some mild heat, but it'll get in there and free it up to start wiggling it back and forth.