• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tips/Techniques Poor man's drill press/mag drill

Tips/Techniques

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Some of you may know this trick, but I'm sure many don't as I get a lot of curious on lookers every time I have to pull it out

As I'm sure most of you know the trick to drilling metal effectively is pressure, lots and lots of pressure (a good bit with the correct geometry helps to), but it can be difficult to get that kind of pressure with a hand drill when a hand drill is the only thing that works, or that you have.

I bring you what I lovingly like to call "The Pakistani drill press", now don't get to excited, I call it that because I came across this trick on the "Pakistani truck" YouTube channel, and I love the simplicity an ingenuity it

The only things you need are a drill, a piece of scrap lumber and a rope/chain/strap, a helper doesn't hurt either

Strap one end of your lumber to the material the drill is the fulcrum point, and get all the glorious pressure you can muster via the lever you have just created....try not to destroy your drill in the process

IMG_20230119_131809_735~2.jpg

Yes, my co-worker is shy a digit, he likes to put his hands where they don't belong, and one day it cost him

Tom O

Ultra Member
I new a guy in Victoria BC that lost 2 fingers in the sawmill luckily they reattach them but he lost them again showing someone how he lost them this time for good.