• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Pm45 cnc, tormach etc.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
http://machinetoolonline.com/PM-45M-CNC.html

I was just looking at the above cnc mill. $6k USD. I assume its a syil rebranded. I see the tormach and others are significantly more money. "Real" (bigger? Designer brand?) cnc mills like haas are $25 or $50k. Lots of prices and options.

Does anybody have a more serious cnc mill? Alex has his cool conversion. ... Anybody else?

I want to start a discussion on this. What is good? What do you get for more money? Is 6k just buying a toy?

kylemp

That's the same machine we picked up, just haven't got around to the cnc change over yet. There's a lot of people out there with a Rf45 or pm45 cnc conversion and they seem to work quite well. Will they compare to a real vmc? Probably not. If you get a feel for it, will you get good results from one? I imagine so. I wouldn't put tormach in the same region as even haas, but they're perfectly acceptable for lighter operations. Half the struggle is getting used to the machine, how rigid it is, speeds and feeds that work well and staying within the parameters for that machine.

kylemp

Yeah, still haven't got anywhere with it so hopefully isn't not too long of a project and my bigger concern is if everything works correctly right off the hop. Should find out soon enough though, it's getting closer to the top of the priority list these days.

John Conroy

Premium Member
I don't have any information on that machine from Precision Matthews but I did buy one of his PM932PFD mills. Matt has a great reputation for customer service and getting the best equipment from the Chinese suppliers. I had a couple of small warranty issues that he took care of quickly. I have since sold that mill to buy a bigger one but if I was to buy another new one it would be from Matt.