• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Plumbing question - Vent

slow-poke

Ultra Member
House was built in Ontario in 1973

Planning to renovate a main floor bathroom. Need to move the toilet about 6', so extend the purple drain pipe by about 6'.

I'm not sure if the vent will now be too far from the toilet?

Running an additional vent to attic would pose a problem because there is about 2-3' of blown insulation on top of rafters so no viable access.

I think I have the drawing correct, I can't say for sure which of the four vertical pipes is actually the vent, I'm guessing the one on the left.

vent2b.png

Last edited:

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
In general, the toilet flange needs to be within 6ft of the vent stack, measured centre to centre. And slope 1/4” per foot. I don’t know Ontario code, but it’s probably similar to the BC code I deal with.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I've seen so called "wet vents" that are intended to deal with issues like this. Even without that, you could prolly run a vent parallel to the main drain but above it to reach the legal distance.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I've seen so called "wet vents" that are intended to deal with issues like this. Even without that, you could prolly run a vent parallel to the main drain but above it to reach the legal distance.
This might be the best solution. From what I have read the distance is dependent on the size of the vent pipe; 6' for 2" vent, 12' for 4". So if I include a T close to the flange and then run 6' of 4" vent to the original location of the flange that might work.