Please recommend CNC router

slow-poke

Ultra Member
From time to time I need to drill and mill plates that are about 17" x 17" x 1/2". These plates are made of some unknown material that would best be described as a mix of GR4 (PCB fibreglass) and bakelite. Whatever the material is it drills and machines easily with small drill bits and or 1/8" end mills. When milling the residue is more powder like than the stringy swarf that occurs when milling GR4.

Accuracy requirements are say +/- 0.002" for drilling and +/- 0.005 for milling.

Presently I'm machining these on my mill because that's what I have available and in most cases the actual drill/mill area is a fair bit smaller than the actual plate typically 5" x 12" or smaller and my mill accommodates that.

I'm now looking for a inexpensive hobby or very light industrial class CNC router or router kit that will better accommodate these 17" x 17" plates and allow me to mill drill anywhere in the center say 16" area. The closer to plug and play the better, Some assembly is fine, but expectation is that it works out of the box without having to fix it all the time.

Usage will be about once per month drilling perhaps 100 holes and milling 10 cutouts say 1" x 1"

The drilling / milling specification provided typically comes in .txt or spreadsheet form and I simply use the text replace feature in an editor to convert to g code.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to your 5E469ECA-80DA-4909-B60C-3702CE0BFD64.jpeg suggestions.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
3018 is too small, and the gantry is plastic and flexes a lot. I suggest taking a look at Sainsmart.com, I’ve had good results with them. I have a heavily-upgraded 3018, and an LE-1620 laser.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Here’s my 3018. New table, with a 20mm 20mm grid, and 6mm tapped holes. I laid out the grid and located the holes using the 3018, then moved the table over to my mill to finish drill & tap.

The 3018 is quite accurate, I can get repeatable to 0.001”.

The original z-axis gantry is all plastic, I bought a heavier aluminum gantry off eBay. Also upgraded the x-axis bearings from plastic to aluminum. I’ve included a photo of the original gantry, it’s OK for doing wood carving but flexed too much for aluminum engraving.

Added an air pump to blow sawdust away.

Added a laser head that swaps out in place of the router.

I’m probably into this for $700.

The Sainsmart PROVerXL 6050 might meet your working area requirements.

You can also get from Amazon but I don’t think it comes with much in the way of software.

Amazon have a Genmitsu 4040 that provides 15-3/4” x 15-3/4” for a lot less if you can live with the smaller table.

Attachments

• IMG_6626.jpeg
    IMG_6626.jpeg
    645.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6627.jpeg
    IMG_6627.jpeg
    671.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6628.jpeg
    IMG_6628.jpeg
    603.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6629.jpeg
    IMG_6629.jpeg
    502.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6630.jpeg
    IMG_6630.jpeg
    554.9 KB · Views: 16

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
You should look at the Millright Mega V. I love mine. 19x19. Super rigid with a rack and pinion system.
Let's see some pictures @kylem. do you find 19x19 to be a bit too small? I was thinking 24 x 24 to make it easy to cut or buy sheet goods? do you have a vacuum on it? what do you program it with?

kylem

Let's see some pictures @kylem. do you find 19x19 to be a bit too small? I was thinking 24 x 24 to make it easy to cut or buy sheet goods? do you have a vacuum on it? what do you program it with?
The bed will take a 24x24 sheet, but the cutting area is only 19x19. I want to build a vacuum table and have done the design but broke my wrist 6 weeks ago and have been chaffing to get it done. I program in Fusion360 and use UGS to interface.

kylem

The bed will take a 24x24 sheet, but the cutting area is only 19x19. I want to build a vacuum table and have done the design but broke my wrist 6 weeks ago and have been chaffing to get it done. I program in Fusion360 and use UGS to interface.
I can't find a zoomed out photo. I am usually taking photos of work pieces. I will add one when I get home.

Attachments

• PXL_20220804_224241042.jpg
    PXL_20220804_224241042.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 8