• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Pin Vises

Perry

Ultra Member

Perry

Ultra Member
I believe I might even have a couple of the items off that page. The pin vises are ok, but I'm looking at a step up. I was looking at the Bergeon pin vises, but they are in the $200+++ US pricing

I'm going to drive down to KMS tomorrow and take a look at the Starret set. After exchange and shipping the $37.86 US set is closing in on the Starrett set. Hopefully the quality is obvious.

Perry

Ultra Member
So I went down to KMS today. The Starrett set that was shown for $149 on sale for $139 was acutally in the display cabinet marked at $114.00 $104 Member price. They tried to tell me it was old pricing that had not been changed and that I would need to pay the $139.

Armed with Wayne's link to the KBC site. I showed them I could get this same set for $97.00 So they sold me a set at $104 Happy Camper.

They quickly changed the price.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've never quite understood how they are to be used. The handles are knurled so obviously not meant to be chucked. I guess you could hold a drill or tap but I would think skinny cutting tools needs more than hand guidance for stability. What do you use them for yourself?

Perry

Ultra Member
I usually work with small pieces for watches. These will hold anything cylindrical. Removing/installing watch crowns on stems. Polishing watch crowns. Polishing screw heads. Holding small gears by the piviot. Shaping small cutter shapers. Sharpening small drills by hand. The uses are endless. I find I use them enough that I wanted a good set.

I also have a nice selection of hand vises. They are vintage and of great quality. They came in a batch of stuff I picked up. When I first seen them I remember thinking what do I need those for. Now I could not imagine not having them around.

Perry

Ultra Member
YotaBota,

Yes they would. I have a few different versions of the China type. They work, but leave a little be desired.

I did get a more expensive set, they do the same thing but are of much better quality. Probably the last set I'll ever buy. It's a lot of money for something so simple, but I'm sure I'll get my moneys worth out of them. You've all been there. Trying to justify a purchase to yourself.