• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Pin spanner wrenches

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Maybe some of you mechanical guys who use these tools can answer - is it important/desirable to have the adjusting (locking?) nut in between the arms like red box model? I see many others that are without. But I'm also not sure on those - maybe you tighten the pivot nut so the arms are constrained once set? Or is it just hand pressure thing & they generally stay engaged in the hole/slot as you turn?

I've encountered a few situations I wish I had a set, but never enough to warrant a buy. And some of those cases I'm not sure any of the standard tools would have worked anyways. I'm actually thinking of making my own with a few specific features

Attachments

• SNAG-8-21-2020 0002.jpg
    SNAG-8-21-2020 0002.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 0
  • SNAG-8-21-2020 0003.jpg
    SNAG-8-21-2020 0003.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 0
  • SNAG-8-21-2020 0004.jpg
    SNAG-8-21-2020 0004.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 0

Brent H

Ultra Member
@PeterT : here is a picture of one that is a copy of the spanner that came with the Cincinnati No 2 grinder I am working on. This one has two sizes: pin wrench plan.jpg

The adjustable ones would work well provided the item you are removing is not stuck on with corrosion or over tightening, locktite etc and required the pins to stay very solid for the removal.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks. I'll have to remember that trick. One could even mill out the center section if it required specific clearance.
Beats my emergency Wood-O-Matic.

Attachments

• IMG_7676_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_7676_edited-1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 0

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I cant
Maybe some of you mechanical guys who use these tools can answer - is it important/desirable to have the adjusting (locking?) nut in between the arms like red box model? I see many others that are without. But I'm also not sure on those - maybe you tighten the pivot nut so the arms are constrained once set? Or is it just hand pressure thing & they generally stay engaged in the hole/slot as you turn?

I've encountered a few situations I wish I had a set, but never enough to warrant a buy. And some of those cases I'm not sure any of the standard tools would have worked anyways. I'm actually thinking of making my own with a few specific features
I cant say I've actually used one of those wrenches but I'm going to guess that without the locking nut for the arms that they would be a potential miserable finger pincher if you had to use any sort of force on them. Your wood-o-matic wouldn't have that problem.