• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool Pedestal grinder shaft

Tool

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
I was setting up a different (used) pedestal grinder today and the wheels were wobbling a bit more than I liked . It's a Baldor with 5/8 shafts and 7" stones . I am not sure what the previous owner did with it but the stones that were on it looked misused. I took them off and the shafts looked to be wobbling a bit so I put a dial indicator on them and both were out .007" where the wheels mount. Is this OK or is it too much?

Maybe....run the motor with no wheels on it, any vibration, no, put new wheels on it repeat, any vibration? No, true them up, test again, no you are good to go.

If you do at any point, use the wack method. Put a sacrificial nut or two on the threads and wack it with a hammer in the direction you want it to go, measure and repeat as required. Yes this can be hard on the bearings but it can solve the issue at little or no cost. How much wacking, well that depends on you. The up side of this method it works, the down side it can really FUBAR things.

-- you MUST protect the bearings before you 'whack' it! if you Brinell the bearings you will reduce their life significantly.

To prevent Brinelling, remove the grinder from the pedestal, Put a backer behind the shaft, such as a 3/8" plate with some mass (>1Kg) Note you place the edge of the plate against the shaft near the motor side...

Don't whack too hard or you will just dent the races on the hammer side. Best done with a lighter hammer with a sharp rap. You also have to protect the shaft from being dented by the hammer. Thin aliminum plate works very well.

Good advice. I tried a few things. Re-mounted the stones a few times, changed clock positions, etc. got one fairly good, the other is not so good. Going to try truing/ ballancing , and straightening the shafts. The "better" of the two is a Forney , the other is a Jet. Not sure if that is meaningful at all. I think once I get the shafts a little straighter I will have a chance at smooth running. I hate having to hold the grinder down with one foot to keep it from walking off on me.

I hate having to hold the grinder down with one foot to keep it from walking off on me.

What a great image! I think we can all visualize that...... LOL!

Ever forget to turn off a small air compressor before going to bed and then wake up on the morning wondering how somebody managed to swipe it during the night without setting off the alarm? Only to find it a while later hiding underneath a big storage rack with the power cable wrapped around a leg.......

What a great image! I think we can all visualize that...... LOL!

Ever forget to turn off a small air compressor before going to bed and then wake up on the morning wondering how somebody managed to swipe it during the night without setting off the alarm? Only to find it a while later hiding underneath a big storage rack with the power cable wrapped around a leg.......
This sound sorta like it happen to some you know, very close to you, not pointing fingers ;):cool:

Some measurements on my machines:

PA buffer: .005" & .0035" (now sold)
2nd PA buffer: .030" (returned it)

Rikon buffer: .0005" & .0022"

Toycen Tradesman T8 grinder: .00018" & .0002"

Guess which one runs the smoothest?

Nice to see some real numbers. Would be nice to get down to under .002" . I haven't had a chance to tweak mine yet but going to give it a try.

Had time today to work on the grinder. I set up a heavy support for the bearings as suggested previously, and wailed on the outer part of the spindle with a copper deadblow hammer. Took a few whacks but I got them both down to .001 or .0015. There was a noticeable reduction in vibration and I am pretty pleased with the way the grinder runs now. The one stone is still wobbling more than I would like but I think it is an issue with the stone itself . Thanks for all the replies and advice.

I do have the dresser from Princess auto, will try touch it up tomorrow. I saw a video of the ballancing system . might be worth a try. I have the vibration down low enough that I'm good with it now. Will keep the ballancer in mind though. Thanks.

Back