• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

PCB power supply electrical plug quandary

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Currently in the process of getting a VFD put together for my mill. While piecing this together, I want to change the tach display power source from battery to DC via a printed circuit board 240VAC/9VDC power supply.

Ordered one from Amazon, it arrived & the problem I'm having is finding plugs to fit the sockets on the board for power in and power out. Looking at the specs the power in socket has 2 pins on 5.08mm centres, the power out socket has 2 pins on 2.54mm centres. I've checked Amazon and the only plugs I can find w/ 2.54 centres are like these ones, which look like they may fit. The only plugs I can find w/ 5.08 centres are like these & they don't appear to be close to fitting.

I've unsuccessfully searched the ad for seller contact info in the hope that they could recommend a source.

Anyone out there have a clew about these things?

TIA.

Standard pitches are 0.1" and 0.2" which is where the 2.54 and 5.08 comes from. You might find more search for those pitches If amazon doesn't have what you need, try Digikey or Mouser. Fantastic selection and service, next day delivery and free shipping for over $100.

My guess is its an XH (a size/version of a JST connectors), and that this would fit. Get something like this with the leads or you have to get a kit and crimpers

Maybe someone else knows for sure, mine is an educated guess at best, so don't be mad if they don't fit :)

Was using an off the shelf (or hiding in a drawer) wallwart not an option?
It's a bit messy and hard to see but I tapped 240v from the contacter to power the wallwart (blade connectors) then run the 9vdc output to the tach.

1722098539014.jpeg

As others have said about desoldering the pins does work. But if you don’t want to desolder you can just pull the connector shell off and solder directly to the pins and heat shrink over the connections. I’ve done this a bunch of times. Not as clean but no worries of board damage. I also use wall warts for lots of these projects. From one employer when we cleaned up the shop I ended up with a bucket of them from the technicians. In the projects they would use a phoenix contact power supply instead of the wall warts. Also I have had good results from the hi-link power modules from aliexpress. We used these on one designed, actually worked really well, nice compact foot print.

Well, possibly. I took a closer look at the circuit side of the board and traced etching connecting both plug receptacles to a pair of holes for power in & power out locations. It appears I'll be able to solder wires directly to the PCB & obviate the need for plugs.

Feel kinda foolish that I didn't notice this at first blush.

Back