• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tool Parting tool

Tool

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
In tough materials, 1/8 is less fragile than 3/32 or 1/16 - and the smaller ones dont do well for larger diameters either. I have some 1/16 and 3/32; but I've used 1/8 almost all my machining , and for diameters up to 2" in steel, that size has worked well. I've used the cheapest offshore ones and better NA cobalt ones, and the 'higher quality ones stay sharp longer. I really don't have any direct complaints about any of them. I have broken only one (my fault) and it was a cobalt one (ouch my pocket book).

The thinner blades reduce the power needed by a lot, and are useful when you have to save space/materials.

I have 2$ HSS blades and 20$ cobalt ones - they both work well.

I used to have soooo much trouble parting off, that I'd just groove 1/8 inch deep and cut the rest off on the bandsaw and face it off. A game changer for me was to make the whole system as rigid as possible, and then to make the parting blade be low of centre a thou or 2. That way , when the blade flexes, it draws out of the cut instead of plunging into it.

gerritv

Gerrit
I prefer the 2mm insert type from AliExpress.com for shallowish cuts but use the style you listed for deeper ones.
2 things I changed to get past parting issues:1) tighten spindle bearings (they had been worked on by prev owner), 2) turn at 300-500 rpm depending on material and diameter. Never have more tool stick out than needed and part close to the chuck.
The 2mm inserts are also useful for light turning, facing and grooving.
Gerrit

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Is any of these better than others for parting off? (for a parting off challenged individual such as my self...:()

I'm often promoting the use of HSS as the better choice for many tasks on light home shop lathes ( it has advantages), but for parting tools I'm solidly in the carbide camp. Why? Side clearance and better support. Its easy to sinter an insert that tapers back from the front, not so easy to grind that into one of the long thin parting blades. Once I switched to those (or for really small lathes, a parting end ground on a regular tool bit with that taper shape), no more difficulties with parting.

Last edited:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I agree with having side clearance on a parting tool (either ground into the tool blank after manufacture or designed into the insert). Makes all the difference. And I have switched to power feeding the cut. That was a game changer as well.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks all. Being in Toronto this week for @Brent H 's shin dig, I might have time to visit a KBC store and figured my carry on should be able to hold a blade or two. Gotta bring something home, being a tourist and all....:)

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
My experience has been it’s all about the holder and tool post. Any slop in the support or chatter destroys the parting tool. Since I removed the compound & turret tool post and went to a solid tool post and Multifix my parting success rate is 100x better.

I use 1/16” and 3/32” HSS and cobalt bits, mostly on aluminum and 304/316 stainless. Good results with either, HSS needs to be sharpened more often.

Never had any success with carbide, I‘m really cheap and snapping a carbide insert makes me cringe, but snapping an HSS tool just means a quick session on the grinder to make a new cutting surface.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Generally speaking, I am a fan of HSS. But I've also had problems parting from time to time.

I was recently given an Accusize carbide insert style tool holder with a 1/8 bit. At 3/4", it was too big for the fellow who had it. It fit my lathe tool post just fine after shaving it down to fit my BXA holder. It cut like butter.

I was VERY impressed. I should have made and posted a video but it was done parting before I knew it.

I believe this is the one I have:

Accusize Industrial Tools 3/4'' x 3/4'' Heavy Duty Indexable Grooving/Cut-Off Holder, Nickel Plated, with a Gtn-3 Tin Coated Carbide Insert, 2415-5030 https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07F8DNXTK/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_XYND971AR4CRKMZ3SR3D?psc=1

I'm pretty sure they stock it at the Accusize store.

Mine is a CXA 3/4" Tool with GTN3 inserts that I modified to fit my BXA holders, but they also sell versions for AXA and BXA tool holders.

It came with inserts for steel. I just ordered some for stainless and aluminium for it but cannot yet say that they will perform as well. I expect the aluminium version will be just fine, but stainless can be tough.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Thanks all. Being in Toronto this week for @Brent H 's shin dig, I might have time to visit a KBC store and figured my carry on should be able to hold a blade or two. Gotta bring something home, being a tourist and all....:)
I’m wondering about security at the airport for carry on you might be better to mail them to yourself .. maybe ask as you pass through security and show them a picture of one.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I am pretty chill about carbide parting tools; I have several. On my very light 12" lathe, HSS has always worked for me, but carbide, not so well. I figure for many hobby lathe owners with smaller machines, I'd talk primarily about HSS HSS/Cobalt (the original question)

I use Kennemetal carbide parting inserts and they work very well in my big lathe. I have one offshore parting tool with inserts, and not so good, but that may be an outlier, for all I know.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I’m wondering about security at the airport for carry on you might be better to mail them to yourself .. maybe ask as you pass through security and show them a picture of one.
:oops: Good point. Thanks. Even to show a photo on the way down might not help. A more zealous officer, at the other end, might decide that it is a no go..

But I could take a padded envelope with me and just drop it in the mail. Beats their min shipping charge.

It sounds like most here are happy with HSS anyways so perhaps not much to gain. I use that now. I could use another one though. I was wondering if the Cobalt ones or Carbide were much better but, generally speaking, I have the impression that HSS should be fine so I need to practice more. @Brent H figures he can set me straight so looking forward to that. I fully expect to return from Toronto a "Parting Jedi"....:cool:

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
:oops:

But I could take a padded envelope with me and just drop it in the mail. Beats their min shipping charge.

Or just shop online :D

I guess if they have a minimum shipping charge it might save, but that is a gawd awful part of the world to drive around in if you don't have to. i live in TO and have them shipped unless I happen to be in the 'hood....which is thankfully rare. Then again, I'm getting old and cranky lol.