Parting/Grooving Insert Question

revrnd

I am trying to source GSP125N inserts. Kennametal (Duramill) says they don't stock them anymore & didn't give me a substitute as a alternative. Is this style of insert still available? I have seen in the KBC catalog that GT_inserts look similar. Will they fit in a blade designed for the GSP inserts (I have two in my shop).

TIA

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Do you have an old insert you can post a photo of?

Same goes for insert holder.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I've never seen a chip breaker like that.

The inserts and the holder itself look very similar to the GT2 GT3 and GT4 Inserts. But my research says they are not interchangeable.

If you measure your insert at its longest and shortest I could compare them to mine for you. If they are the same, you could buy just one like mine and just try it. Why not?

Otherwise, unless someone finds a supply of your inserts for you, my advice is to just go buy a holder designed for the GT inserts and get on with life

Here is what my GT3 Holder and inserts looks like. The insert in it is for Aluminium but I have inserts for steel and cast iron too. This one is accusize. The GTx inserts are as common as mosquitos today. Neither one is expensive - certainly no where near what you prolly paid for that Kennametal.

20231209_155309.jpg

Last edited:
Contact Kennametal in the USA as I understand a lot of manufactured have drifted away from them in Canada (including big ones) when closed there distribution warehouse in Oakville.

Apparently Canadian market is an after thought.

Consider that their answer was "we don't stock it anymore" not we don't make it anymore.

lucsimoneau

On the same general subject, I have 8 different cutoff blades that I got from our spring cleaning at the school I teach at (ISCAR TGFH-32-3 and DGFH-32-4, Sandvik 151.2-25-25 (2x), 151.2-25-30 (3x), Valenite VH101 32 2). For my lathe, I have a QCTP from Accusize #250-222. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a Cutoff blade holder that would fit on this QCTP? Otherwise, I might just end up machining my own: 1704139607416.png

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
On the same general subject, I have 8 different cutoff blades that I got from our spring cleaning at the school I teach at (ISCAR TGFH-32-3 and DGFH-32-4, Sandvik 151.2-25-25 (2x), 151.2-25-30 (3x), Valenite VH101 32 2). For my lathe, I have a QCTP from Accusize #250-222. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a Cutoff blade holder that would fit on this QCTP? Otherwise, I might just end up machining my own:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Does anyone know if it's possible to get a Cutoff blade holder that would fit on this QCTP? Otherwise, I might just end up machining my own:

As @YYCHM has indicated. They are available in certain sizes, but not all. It just so happens that I am in the process of making my own for a 1" blade in a BXA toolpost. I have a very nice parting tool that fits a 5/8 tool holder but it doesn't cut as deeply as I sometimes need. My plan is to modify a standard tool holder to hold a 1" parting blade. I'll deepen the holder and also cut the top to accept an add-on blade clamp and screws.