• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool Parallel storage

Tool

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Curious how folks store their mill parallels.
Mine are in the usual blow molded plastic box that seems to take up about twice as much space as needed.
I've seen them hung in pairs using the holes but I don't have wall space for that.
Love to see some creative ideas.

I keep mine in the red plastic case they come in. I make a black sharpie mark at the 1" on, so that I can use it as a reference to grab the one I need without having to try and read the molded in #'s.

Shop made ones fill a drawer in my toolbox.

I'm rolling around an idea for a wall mounted mill tooling storage shelf/cabinet for frequently used mill tooling, and will probably ditch the blow molded case for at least one of my 5 sets when I start building it. I like the hanging idea, and may incorporate that.

OK, remember that you asked! For the most part I keep mine in the containers they came in; a few in red plastic, several in wooden boxes, and some in craft plastic boxes:

20240604 Parallel Storage.jpeg
Left-to-Right/Top-to-Bottom:
• 3" x 1/8"; 1/2" — 1", 1/16" increments
• 3"± x 1/32"; 1/2" — 7/8", 1/16" increments (6" cut in half; surplus wooden box)
• Tall 3" x 1/8"; 1/2" — 1-5/8", 1/8" increments (vise jaws are 7/8" tall, but these come in handy)
• 2-1/2" x 1/16"; 1/4" — 3/4", 1/8" increments (Sherlne)
• 3" x 5/32"; 1/2" — 7/8", 1/8" increments (LMS)
• 85mm x 8mm; 12mm — 20mm, 2mm increments (cut from HSS tool blanks)
• Misc. Round Parallels (inner & outer bearing races, very handy)
• 6" x 1/8"; 1/2" — 1-5/8", 1/8" increments (too good a price to pass up; I'll use them eventually)
• 6" x 1/2"; 1" — 1-3/4", 1/4" increments (box latch was broken, got them for next to nothing & free shipping)

Not Shown:
• 3" x 9/64", 5/32" & 3/16" Shim Parallels (LMS) and assorted 3" lathe tool bits, 1/8" — 3/8" (in a nice wooden cigar box)
• 6" x 1/32"; 15/16" — 1-5/8", 1/16" increments (balance of un-cut 1/32" parallels, red plastic box)

The Tall 3x1/8, 6x1/8, 6x1/2 and 6x1/32 are on shelving with other seldom used tools/tooling; the others are in a drawer next to the Mini-Mill.

I am blessed with a dry, conditioned (and dehumidified) basement shop, albeit small.

I keep mine in the blow moulded box they came in. The boxes stack perfectly on the seat of the pensive stool next to my mill. I just move them to the top of my rotary table when my latest problem requires a place to sit while I noodle the situation. The parallel boxes also make a perfect chip guard that keeps chips from accumulating on my pensive stool and then transferring to my tender parts when I need to use the stool. I also keep a roll of tissue paper under the stool seat so I can wipe stuff off as needed. It's really handy after an end-mill grabs. The stool location is perfect really. Highly recommended.

Mine are in the blow moulded box, but with a twist: I cut the lid off.
Those paralles live in the "setup" drawer, and with no lid they are actually convenient to use. I can still pull the whole box out, though I can't fling it around.
Maybe cutting the lid off is all I need to do.

Now THAT is my kind of organization. What else is in your "Setup" drawer Paul?
Parallels, adjustable parallels, 123 blocks, v-blocks, jacks, a couple of indicators in fixed holders, shim stock, edge finders.
Really, I should call it the vise setup drawer.

The clamping kit sits next to the machine. And another few edge finders there. Can't seem to have enough edge finders.

Vise Setup Kit. I like it!

Can't seem to have enough edge finders.

Get one of these. It will be your last.

They claim 2 tenths. Mine will repeat to a tenth every time. Might relate to materials.

Vise Setup Kit. I like it!

They claim 2 tenths. Mine will repeat to a tenth every time. Might relate to materials.
yep, got me one. Batteries are not cheap

No worries. My setup kit will not be hiding in a drawer like some Transylvanian Gopher. It will be on a surface just like all important things should be.
Ya, ya, but, horror of horrors they will be all neat and tidy in parallel unison........ And all right there in the open, not even a "closet" neat freak is that brave.......:rolleyes:

NEXT time I visit I want a demo!

I haven't had the problems he has had with mechanical edge finders, but the electronic one looks very nice! Thanks for the link!!

Back