Pantograph

NorthernLights

I am looking for a 2D pantograph such as a Deckel G1L or Gorton P1-2. I know they aren't easy to find on this side of the 49th, but here's hoping!

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I knew a guy that had one years ago (maybe not either one of these brands though). He'd engrave things deeply, then silicon bronze into the groove, sand and buff the pattern afterwards. Beautiful art.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think you're right, they are kind of scarce. But, depending on your shop tooling, accuracy needs & material removal, you might be able to create something useful along these lines.
https://imageevent.com/tomgriffin/pantograph

One thing going for us these days is inexpensive, compact, variable speed high rpm brushless spindle motors from China vs older machine complicated 'rope drives'. Where the older machines excel is overall rigidity & fits of the moving arms & surfaces.

NorthernLights

I knew a guy that had one years ago (maybe not either one of these brands though). He'd engrave things deeply, then silicon bronze into the groove, sand and buff the pattern afterwards. Beautiful art.
Those are the two most popular brands, but I wouldn't be opposed to any other brand. I have looked at Kuhlmann, Pear, Taylor Hobson, Preis...

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I've been looking too. For years. A few slipped through my fingers and went to the metal recycle. arrrg.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
at 3k$ it is way too pricey for me. I am working on getting a 2d one that I've spotted. I'm in the long game here.